(14) The Betting

• Dedicated to All The Readers:)

Mom smooths out my dress and smiles.

"You look beautiful, Vanessa."

"Mom, I told you not to call me that." Mom named me Nessa, dad had wanted to name me Vanessa, so he always called me that. In the letter he called me Nessa and Ness, though...maybe he just didn't want me to be even more mad than I already was.

Mom smiled, and her eyes went glassy. "Sorry, h-honey." She stuttered.

"Mom, please." I hug her tightly and give her a smile.

"I'm not, I'm not," She played with ruffles on my dress and sighed. "I've done my part. It's your turn. You look absoutely beautiful, now you need to feel and walk like you're beautiful. Confidence needs to be radiating off of you, and then they will want to bet on you."

"But-"

"You are so beautiful, Nessa. But, you need to believe you are."

I nod. When I do, my curly hair bounces around me. "Look in the mirror, before you leave."

I go into the bathroom and look at the mirror. The dress really does make me beautiful. But I still feel like a little kid playing dress-up. Awkward in a dress and heels.

The heels were pretty high, and a deep red that matched the dress. Mom had put some ruby colored lip stick on me. My brown eyes were huge, wide, and mostly, unsure.

But I had to do this. Even though I wasn't a big fan of Phillip, I rather have him than Christopher.

But why did I keep having to tell myself I hate Christopher?

And why is it so hard?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My heels clicked quietly as I paced around the room.

"Next, is Sara Wildly and Ginna Kenn." Sara and Ginna walked onto the stage and I frowned. How could they do that?

I watched them from behind the curtain. Well, how could Sara do that. I felt bad for Ginna. Ginna was naturally pretty, but standing by Sara she looked dull and ugly.

Ginna was wearing a long, yellow, dress that covered everything. Lucky. Sara, on the other hand, had a diving neckline and her dress in the back fell to the start of her hips. Her dress was a bright orange and her hair was completly straight.

I touched my bare back and neck. My dress dipped low in the back, too. Sighing, I take a deep breath and try to calm myself.

"Sara comes in pratically sparkling in that beautiful orange dress! Oh, and Ginna! She looks as bright as the sun! Any betters for Sara, first?"

"Ten!" I hear someone yell.

"Twenty!" Another one yells.

"Twenty-five!"

"Remember kids, the max of betting is sixty..."

"Thirty!" Someone interrupts.

It's silent after that.

"Going once...going twice....sold! To Mr. Tyler Jones for thirty dollors." It's our teacher, Mrs. Brice, that's the host. Ginna goes next and only get's ten dollors. I feel bad for her. "Miss. Sara Wildly out bet Miss. Ginna Kenn.

"Next...Hannah Fautner and Kacey Wooten."

It goes on and on, and line decreases more and more. I never hear Christopher or Phillip's voices bet.

"Vanessa Benn-" I cringe. And wait for a moment for her to finish my name. I couldn't take it. I want to bolt straight to the door.

"And Julia Callie."