19

♡ Sometimes, all you can do is lie in bed and hope to fall asleep before you fall apart.♡

The house was dark. Mom had called me and told me that she would be going out with her friends for New Year's Eve after the lawyer's session. Dad was probably out with his friends too.

I wanted to stay with Melody at the hospital but the doctors had to perform and emergency scan after she suddenly collapsed. She was normally talking when all of a sudden, she gasped and collapsed on her bed. Apparently, it was one of the side effects of cancer.

I was sitting in the living room, curled up on the couch. I had switched off all the lights in my house. The only source of light in the entire house was the television in front of which I was sitting.

Some TV show kept playing on the television. Some girl with blonde hair and strawberry highlights laughed while another guy spat out his water. I chuckled humorlessly. I laughed for the sake of laughing.

I kept watching TV for a long time. By the time I got up to get a glass of water, it was around a quarter to twelve. Fifteen minutes for New Year.

I sighed and pushed myself off of the couch. Everyone was probably out, partying their way through the night. Veronica would be wearing a tight, short dress, dancing and flirting with Caspian while I sat at home, doing nothing about it. Caspian, obviously would not flirt back, but would be enjoying the party.

Blaze. Blaze would be out with Alison and his friends, living life to its fullest.

It's not that I wanted to party or something but I just didn't want to be completely alone on New Year.

I looked at the clock as I pulled out a bottle of water from the fridge.
11:55.

I sighed as I twisted the cap of the bottle open and put the mouth of the bottle to my lips. The cold water chilled my mouth. I flinched slightly as I gulped the water. I set the water bottle down on the kitchen table and walked back to the living room after closing the refrigerator door shut.

I hugged my knees to my chest and wrapped my arms around my knees. I pulled a cover over myself and continued watching television.

For some reason, exactly when the clock struck twelve, I turned my head to look at it. I turned back towards the television.
"Happy New Year, Amy.",I whispered to myself.

I searched for my phone and finally found it under one of the couch cushions. I pulled it out.

I was slightly disappointed when I realized that Caspian hadn't even texted me a 'Happy New Year'.
I sighed and bit my lip as I switched to other chats. No one had wished me. I decided to put my phone away.

Suddenly, the bell rang. I was confused as to who it could be this late at night. I groaned as I pushed myself off of the sofa and walked towards the door. I stopped myself and hesitated a little to open the door.
What if it's a psycho axe murderer?

I shook my head. My temporary insomnia was getting to me. I cranked the door open and saw Blaze standing there. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.
"Blaze? What are you doing here?"

He stumbled a little as he took a step forward. He put a hand on the wall beside the doorbell for support. He moved slowly.

"Blaze? Are you drunk?",I asked slowly. I crossed my arms and stood in the doorway.

Blaze looked up at me, squinting a little.
"I don't know, mom, am I?",he asked sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes.
"What are you doing here?",I asked.