34

Betty 

I woke up the next morning, Winter Break officially being over. I groaned, half crying at having to start school again. But I willed myself to get up because I at least got to see Jughead. Jughead was literally the only thing in my life wasn't messed up. 

It's like we had our own bubble of happiness in a world of hate. 

I threw on a hoodie which advertised Eggos (I didn't even know why I had that), tights, and laced my sneakers on. Coming into the kitchen, I realized something.

It was Veronica's birthday. I slapped my forehead. "You're an idiot, Betty," I muttered. Polly smiled at me from the table. But my mother and father were whispering angrily to one another. When they saw me, they immediately put on happy faces, as if the last hour didn't happen. 

"Betty, uh, good morning. Excited to start school?" My dad deadpanned. 

"Sure, dad. Always." My mom managed a tight smile and continued whispering to my dad. That's when I got angry. My parents were acting strange, like they always were these days, and my anger was boiling up inside of me. 

"Okay, ENOUGH. What ways have  you guys been plotting to kill me now?" They looked shocked, and my mom shook her head in astonishment. Like he always does in an awkward situation, my dad left the room. 

"Fine. You want to know? We don't like your boyfriend." I played dumb.

"I don't have--"

"Don't act all astonished. We know. What happened to Archie? At least he's a somewhat reasonable person." I fumed.

"Look, I'm not always going to be able to just do what you want. I'm not your pet. I'm your daughter. I deserve respect. Okay? I'm happy with Jughead. He makes me happy in a way Archie didn't. So why can't you just go with--"

"I don't trust his parents, Betty?" 

"Why, MOTHER? Because you and FP have some kind of history? Well, spill, Mom. Tell me what exactly is so important--"

"WE HAD A KID. Okay?" Her voice cracked. Polly looked astonished. She'd never seen my mom break down like that, and neither had I. I didn't know what to do.

"That kid is...my brother? Do you have his address? Do you--"

"Betty, just drop it." Polly put a hand on my shoulder, both condescending and reassuring. 

My mom sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. All I'm saying is that I don't like your boyfriend. He did a bad thing. He m--"

"Mom, don't tell her." Polly and my mother shared a knowing look, a look which always meant they were hiding something. "She'll figure it out eventually." 

Never had I ever become so afraid to be in a relationship then at that very moment.

Never had I ever become so afraid of life, of living in Riverdale then at that very moment. 

Never had I ever wanted to live life not knowing about the words people kept to themselves then at that very moment.

Never had I ever been afraid of Jughead Jones, the boy who had my heart, then at that very moment. 

I heard a text alert from my phone. 

Thanks for wishing me. 

I rolled my eyes, then regretted it. It was Veronica. I couldn't ignore her forever.

Okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. But you cheated on me too. You didn't tell me. I was hurt. Please respond. 

She immediately replied. 

I know. 

When you're that invested in someone, your logical side gets stabbed by your emotional side. But I'm really sorry, Betty. I wanted to say something. I never had the courage. But I'm coming home. I miss you. So, so much. 

I smiled.

Does he make you happy?

More than ever.  So, so much. 

Then screw it. As long as you're happy, I am.

Thank you so much. But how about you?

I have Jughead. 

OOOH JUGHEAD SKSKSKSKS IS THAT THE EMO KID?

I think Archie's the emo kid HE'S THE ONE WHO WRITES EMO LYRICS. 

AND JUGHEAD makes me happy. 

Send me a photo now.

don't tell him i have this because he doesn't go anywhere without his hat

holy shit, he could run me over and i would ask for more. keep him safe, girl! 

ladies in riverdale are terrible :)

I grinned. I couldn't express my gratitude for her spontaneity. If my life was a vase cracked in two. Veronica put it back together. I was finally happy.  Complete. At peace with the hell around. 

For now, I was okay.

heyy guys. i'm really, really sorry i haven't updated in so long. but this story is not over, i can promise you that! check our my unpopular opinions book, where i spill tea about cool stuff. hope you guys enjoy this chapter, and DAMN WE'RE ALMOST AT 10K I I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH! i'm deeply humbled. anyways before it gets too mushy, see y'all laterrrr!

~mo