29

Jughead

"You're one of the suspects in the murder of Jason Blossom." When the unforgiving policeman glared at me, judging me with his cold blue eyes, I felt a tingle of shame.

I knew what I had done was unforgivable, but no one knew yet. Not even you, the person reading my story. (yes i broke the fourth wall stop judging me !). But when Betty grabbed my hand, I felt something in me change.

I wanted to tell her everything. 

I wanted to be with her. I know I wasn't sure about it before, but now I knew exactly what I wanted. She made me feel better about my shitty life. She listens. She doesn't judge. But I was scared of what she would think of me after she saw this.

She doesn't know yet. Of my secret. And I'm not planning on revealing a word. To anyone. Not even her. 

The policeman, breaking the silence, said, "Jughead, you're gonna have to come with me down to the police station." 

I looked at Betty, and she managed a small smile, leaning so that I could only hear, "Go, Jughead. It's okay, I promise," and kissed me on the cheek, her cool lips on my skin, tingling me, a momentary sensation. 

I blushed a little when I saw the policeman looking at me with a surprised, slightly amused expression. He gave a gesture with his head towards the car, and slowly, Betty's hand slipped away from mine. 

Wordlessly, the policemen led me to his black car of doom, which was less dank and empty than I thought it would be. Most of the car ride was silent, until the policeman looked at me through the rearview mirror. 

"How old are you?" I wasn't prepared for such a terrifying person to talk to me, so I stuttered a little. 

"Uh-I-sixteen. I'm sixteen. Junior." 

"Well, you're too young to be getting yourself in that kind of trouble. You didn't kill him, did ya?" I gulped, seeing his squinting eyes in the mirror. 

I was determined to prove I was innocent. Because I am. Technically. "No, sir, I didn't. I barely even knew him."

"Yeah, but your father did. Dealt drugs to him."

"Sir, he would never do that. To Jason."

"Your father did. Way back. Don't know if he's past that part of his life now, but he's a suspect too. Already at the sheriff's, I think." I gritted my teeth at how annoyingly insensitive the man was, how unsuspecting of the dark world of Riverdale he was. 

He took me into the Sheriff's office, into a dark room which smelled of sweat and tar. There was a small lightbulb near the desk which he turned on. "Sit," He said in a quiet voice, cutting through the air as sharp as a blade. 

My hands were shivering. From the cold, you're cold, Jughead, is what I told myself, but I knew, somewhere in me, it wasn't just that. The man took a long, hard look at me, and I grew even more uncomfortable. 

The clock on the wall was making eerie echoes along the room, and the dim lighting forced me to look into the policeman's eyes. 

"Tell me where you were on the day Jason Blossom went missing."

sorry i haven't updated, it's been difficult with APs and classes and stuff. but anyways, WE AT 5 FRICKING THOUSAND+ AND I'M LOWKEY CRYING. THANKS so much for keeping this book alive, and keep going with the reads. I'm thankful for each and every one of you, and i  hope you're enjoying this so far. damn these chapters are getting harder and harder to write argh. anyways, i'm procrastinating stuff again so i gotta go. ly all <3

~mo