•|9|•

Brian took a deep breath when he reached his door after an exciting first day, hand on the slightly worn brass handle, but unable to turn it.

He had a funny feeling that something was wrong.

Just as he gained enough sense to just go into his flat, a loud crash could be heard from inside, and he panicked, bursting the door open and beginning to frantically search for a burglar.

Nothing was in the living room. Or the bedroom.

But the kitchen...

Jae was knelt on the kitchen floor, sweeping up a broken bowl.

"Jesus Christ Jae you gave me a heart attack." Brian leant on the doorframe, recovering his heart rate.

"Sorry. Sometimes I still have trouble holding things." He began to wrap the broken crockery in newspaper, while Brian actually took some time to look around the kitchen.

Jae had painted it for him.

Brian had intended to do it over the weekend, when he had some spare time, but now he didn't need to. There was at least two coats of paint on the wall, and it looked amazing.

"I thought you weren't gonna do any house work." Brian pointed out, confused as to why his house looked so nice.

"Well I figured since you were kind enough not to kick me out, I'd return the favour and look after the place for you." Jae shrugged, giving a cheeky smile. "Plus I'm a bit whipped for you."

"Well, what can I say? I have that effect on people." Brian chuckled.

"So how was your first day? Was it a nice place?" Jae finally disposed of the broken bowl and sat on a little bar stool, feeling chatty.

"It was weird. Everyone was really nice to me and everything, but it's gonna take me a long time to get used to the place." Brian shrugged.

Jae nodded, deciding to spill some gossip. "From what I've heard Jimin saying, it's a really nice place to work. As long as you don't sleep with a student like he did, oof."

"Wait so those two are a thing? I thought it was just me assuming things." This surprised Younghyun. Jimin seemed like someone who wouldn't risk his job like that.

"Trust me, as a ghost, I see a lot in this house." Jae nodded. "When I'm doing my rounds, one of the Jimins is usually at the other one's flat. They're never not together."

"Your rounds?"

Jae almost blushed - would have done if he had blood. "Yeah, uh, I like to help out everyone when I can. Make sure Felix's room is clean and that Hyuna and Hyojong don't fight. That kinda thing."

"That's so sweet." Brian grinned. "I'm glad you're using your powers for good."

Jae scoffed at that. "Dude I'm dead, that's hardly a superpower."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." Brian felt a pang of guilt, but Jae smiled reassuringly.

"It's fine, I guess it's easy for you to forget since I look normal." Jae shrugged.

"I wouldn't say normal."

"Excuse me?" Jae laughed, jokingly smacking Brian's arm.

"Ow, I meant you look way better than normal." Brian pouted. "Why'd you hit me?"

"It was a metaphor for me hitting on you, because you look better than normal too." Jae smoothly replied, and the two burst into comfortable laughter.

"So when you were alive, was there anyone? Y'know, did you have a girlfriend or anything?" Okay so Brian was wholly gay and at this point Jae was looking like the most perfect, beautiful man he'd ever seen.

But he was dead.

"Not really. Before I died, this whole area was pretty empty. Or old dudes, and I'm not really into that."

"I dunno, they're more experienced." Brian laughed.

"Ew wrinkly dick." Jae pretended to gag.

"I didn't even realise you like dick." Brian chuckled, hoping that he didn't look too hopeful or desperate.

"I mean it's been a long time since I've had any dick, but I remember liking it, yeah." Jae laughed, but then his smile faltered. "Sorry, that doesn't make you uncomfortable with me staying here, does it?"

"No, no, I'm gay anyway. I was just wondering." Brian shrugged, smiling to show that he wasn't at all upset by that. "What about since you died? Surely some cute guys have caught your eye."

"Well, I mean the guy who lived here before you, Taemin, was pretty hot. He used to dance a lot. The wall by the front door used to have mirrors on it, so he pretty much turned the living room into a dance studio." Jae smiled fondly. "I liked him. And of course theres Youngjae. But I think he likes you."

"Me?" Brian's eyebrow raised curiously.

"Yeah, he was talking about you to his friend Jackson yesterday." Jae chuckled. "He likes your cheekbones."

"Wow, it's been a long time since anyone liked me." Brian's eyes dragged along the marble of the kitchen counter, trying not to think about his last boyfriend.

"You think it's been a long time for you?" Another sad laugh from Jae. "I died over three hundred years ago, and you're the first person who can see me."

"Well, for the record, you are pretty cute." Brian was very much still alive and had blood circulating through him; most of it was rushing to his face.

"Pretty cute? Man, I'm gorgeous." Jae scoffed, looking up to see Brian's sarcastic reaction, but he was surprised to see the human's face still regarding him seriously.

"Yeah, I guess you are."

"And so are you." Jae added, not realising that Brian was serious until now. "I'm glad you moved in... it's really nice having you around."

"You too." Brian continued to smile softly.

The two men stared at each other awkwardly for a moment before Brian finally broke the silence. "You know, I'm not shy, if you were human I would have kissed you just then."

This took Jae by surprise, but he happily leaned in and softly captured Brian's lips.

Brian had never experienced anything like kissing a ghost. There was a presence there, against his lips, but it was fragile, light and cold.

Like kissing a heavy cloud.

When he pulled away, Brian broke into a little teenage-girl-crush smile, and looked down to his feet embarassedly.

This really was the start of a whole new world for the two of them.