Chapter 1

I have no idea where I am or how I got here. I don't know anyone around me. I know there are people I can sense them. The sounds and smells are different. Never silence, always noise.

The drums beating, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. Quickly 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Never missing a beat.

I can feel myself floating, spinning around, all I can see is sky, clear blue sky. Not a cloud or a bird or the sun... just sky.

There are squeaking noises all around. My head dizzy and nauseous. I feel so weak, so tired, so thirsty.

The drums...oh stop the drums... somebody shut them up.

I kept feeling hands all over my body, fresh smells and the feeling of being smeared with soft sticky stuff. Liquid poured into my mouth. I swallowed coughing and spluttering on the foul tasting poison.

I could hear growling and feel the scratches, the rattling and the roughness of something being rubbed over my body. So many hands, all shaking me, chanting, humming, stamping, screaming, shaking as the drums kept getting faster.

My chest felt the need to scream but my mouth won't open. My eyes rolled in my head.

Burning... the burning! Smoke, pain and more burning!

HELP! HELP! Still I couldn't scream. Something was poured in my eyes, stinging! ARGH!!!

I felt myself pushed to the floor onto my hands and knees. Damp earth against my palms and dark cave surrounded me.

Noises... so many noises hurt my ears. Squeaking, tweeting, scratching and howling. I became surrounded by terrifying scuffling noises and breathing. My heart racing as my eyes darted around to search out every sound.

Stop, Stop! I closed my eyes and prayed. Please, please god someone help me! I crawl along on my hands and knees, following the noises of the drums as they grow louder. I could see a shadow ahead... it was a man.

"TOM! TOM!" I called.

The shadow beckoned me forward.

"Tom is that you?" I called.

I ran forward. As I got closer he turned.

"Argh!" I screamed, falling back and scrambling away. A man with a monkey face, a huge man!

He shook his head, beckoning me forward.

"Tom?" I asked feeling the uncontrollable urge to follow him.

He nodded beckoning me forward. A light started to leak into the cave. I saw them... monkeys everywhere, all types and some just like my monkey.

"Monkey?" I called scared.

There he was, my monkey running towards me. The drums getting louder and faster! Nearer and Nearer. I put my hands out wanting to run towards him. He ran, arms stretched for a cuddle and flung himself into my arms, kissing me full on the mouth. His tiny body and embrace making me feel safe.

I crawled weakly towards the entrance of the cave, the bigger monkeys coming to my aid and dragging me along by the arms. The brightness of the outside blinding me. I cover my burning eyes.

I heard a sound, a cheer. Whooping, hollering and those stupid drums. I lifted my head weakly as the monkeys continue to drag me forward. The monkey man helped me to my feet. It was a mask, not his real face. He pointed for me to go forward through the trees towards the sound of the drums. I walk forward, feeling very drunk and dizzy.

Someone stepped out in front of me and clapped their hands together before blowing dust in my face. I caught my breath and with it, I was awake, my mind clearing, my sight returning, my chest and throat feeling like they were breathing in unison for the first time.