Chapter 17

The talk didn't go well. Not well at all. It turned into a blazing row. Tom stormed out and I haven't seen since. It has been two months.

Everyone wanted to know what happened but I can't even think about it let alone discuss it. Every time I let my mind wander there my heart feels like it's getting trampled on I can't breath, I cry uncontrollably and start to shake.

The children have witnessed it a few times which I hated myself for but they just cuddled me saying, "It will be alright mummy," as they stroked my hair and looked at me with such concern in their eyes it makes me worse. Especially as they have their fathers eyes. It is just like looking at him.

I stay out back in the shop at work because no bride to be wants my tears all down her wedding dress. I didn't attend the wedding for Joe and Bessie on the Island but I heard from my mother and father that it was fantastic.

Virginia is back to her normal self and sent me a lovely embroidered handkerchief with her last letter. Did she know how many of these I would need to soak up my tears? As Robert would say, I could drown a sailor!

Robert would be here to collect the children today, he was expected and I had made him some pies and biscuits to take back on board with him. I also mended his favourite shirt and made him a new one which I knew he would love. I have nothing but time on my hands so why not fill it.

"Mummy, granddad is here!" I heard called as I stood on a chair fixing a shelf in the pantry.

"Ok I'll be there in a minute," I said. I couldn't stop what I was doing or the whole thing would collapse.

I felt hands on my bottom and then teeth as someone bit me!

"Owww... Michael!" I said at hearing him laugh. "You cheeky devil!" I laughed.

"Come here I will do that," he said.

"No it is ok, I am nearly done," I said.

"Ella Fitzpatrick get down off that stool," Virginia called.

I screamed with excitement. Michael swooped me off the chair and into his arms carrying me out to his wife as I heard the shelf crash to the ground behind me.

He set me down and I ran to her, hugging her to death and bursting into happy tears.

"I missed you," I said feeling silly for crying but I was so happy to see her well again and she looked wonderful.

"I missed you too," she replied crying as well.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Brilliant, I'm so lucky to have a doctor as a father," she said proudly. "And Michael likes my scar from the operation," she added.

"It is very sexy," he said giving her a look that would make a whore blush!

"Michael just bit my bottom," I told her.

"Oh I love it when he does that," she said with a giggle and a wink in his direction.

"I love doing it," he replied.

I heard the children squealing as they attacked their granddad and uncle.

"I've come to stay with you for a while if that is ok?" Virginia asked.

I nodded and burst into tears again. I was desperate for some company and hers especially.

"Oh don't cry Ella, I'm here now," she said pulling me into a big hug and holding me tight.

"Ella," Robert said as he came towards me with his arms wide open. "Where is my love?"

I turned and hugged him, Tom flashing into my head as I held his father, the same build. I tried to shake the image off as my heart took another beating.