Chapter 24

Two more days past and I stayed at Robert's side like a good girl.

Truth be known I enjoyed the companionship of both him and Shadow. They occupied my time with training and I was allowed to go to the galley and prepare food with Virginia, even if Michael came along pretending it was to see his wife. I knew he didn't trust me.

My bed time consisted of Robert and Shadow either side to ensure I didn't sneak off if one fell asleep. I have to admit there were moments that tore at my soul begging me to go to Tom and kiss him once again. I had contemplated pleading with them, I had got away with seeing him once, I could do it again. I could check how he is and tell them. I even thought of using the excuse that I had been brought back and was now part of the Island so was allowed on it but I knew it would do no good to plead and only cause them more stress and upset as this was just as hard for them.

I fell to sleep between my two chaperones and dreamt I was in bed and was woken from my sleep by a noise as Tom climbed through the window, "Where have you been?" I asked. "I thought you had left me."

"I could never leave you, I love you too much," he said and just as he was about to kiss me I woke.

It was such a vivid dream that I was inconsolable, I felt like my heart had been ripped out and stamped on. What use was there for a heart without him in it? For the next three days I refused to eat or speak and didn't sleep for fear of the dream again.

I was an empty shell. Waiting for the host to return. I was Ella without Tom. It didn't make sense. Surely he should have returned to me by now, he had been warm when I kissed him. The memory of the kiss cutting me like a knife, causing me to put my hand protectively to my chest as I caught my breath.

Where was he? What had I done wrong?

"Quick!" Michael said to his father, "It is the Monkey Man."

Robert ran to the other side of the ship, I stayed sat wrapped in my blanket on the floor, the empty shell that I was, aware of my surroundings but not part of them. I stared vacantly into space. I wanted Tom not that stupid Monkey Man so what was the point in going to see what he wanted.

"Bring her down," he called.

"Why?" Robert asked.

"She broke the rules, she has to pay," he said.

"I can assure you she has already been punished. She is unwell," Robert said. "Come see for yourself."

Monkey man appeared knelt before me as I stared into space.

"How long has she been like this?" he asked.

"Three days, since she woke from a nightmare calling his name," Robert said.

"She is lost, no wonder he can't find her," Monkey man said. "I will take her. I promise no harm will come to her."

"No," Michael said. "Why should I trust you? You killed my brother."

Monkey man nodded, "Very well, I see you are as protective of her as he is. You may come along."

"How long?" Robert asked.

"He is ready, there is something holding him back," Monkey man said. "You may be the answer," he said to Michael. "Help me carry her to the cave." Michael lifted me up into his arms carrying me to the Island.

My eyes heavy, my body weak. I struggled to stay awake against Michael's chest.

"Lay her next to him," Monkey man said. "You can talk to him, he will hear you."

"Hey matey, look who I've brought to see you, it is that stowaway who stole your heart," Michael said his voice cracking with emotion. "She misses you terribly, we all do. It is time to come home. Everyone is waiting for you on the ship including Ella. Wake up Tom. Please I need my brother back."