Chapter 9

As I pulled myself together I freshened up and made sure I looked presentable. I feel so old and frumpy next to Tom's new lover.

I tried my best and practiced my fake smile before I ventured down the hall towards the stairs. Just as I was approaching my old room his lover walked out of it, looking a bit startled.

"Oh you made me jump," she said. She was even more attractive up close. No wonder Tom chose her. "You must be Ella," she said indicating with her hand the exact place of my name tattooed on Tom's chest. The fact that she knew him so intimately made me blush and I became annoyed with myself for being jealous but couldn't hold my tongue.

"Yes I am, do you want to see my tattoo as proof," I offered. Placing my hand on it. That should hurt her right back knowing he was once that intimate with me.

I was cursing her in my head. Calling her every name under the sun and for what reason, she was probably a lovely girl and I was just jealous. Get over it I told myself. You left him, you are not married, you don't own him, you are friends and nothing more, get over it, move on find yourself someone else. Maybe I would now I knew he had moved on.

"I am Sally, maybe Tom mentioned me?" she said hopefully.

"Ella, and no sorry he neglected to mention you but we have been in a rush and had more important matters on our minds," I said indicating to Virginia's room.

"Oh yes poor Virginia, it is really cutting Tom up," she said. "I hope she gets well soon so we can get back to normal."

I was close to punching her.

"Ella," my sister called from the bar. I looked down to see her with her little baby Louise, she was a gorgeous baby. I hurried past whatever she said her name was, and down to meet my sister and the baby.

After a quick hug she glared up at the blonde, "Pay no attention to Sally," she sneered.

"Sally... strumpet more like," Tom's mother Rosie said.

I looked at them in shock. I didn't have time to ask why they disliked her as my father came down the stairs.

"How is Virginia?" I asked.

"Not good, I had to operate and she's has lost a lot of blood. I need you to come with me Ella," my father said.

I entered the kitchen with him. He pulled me into the Pantry closing the door.

"What do you remember about your treatment on Monkey Island?" he asked.

"I don't, just sounded and images and waking up," I replied.

He looked exhausted.

"I am sorry, I don't know what they put inside me but I have never felt better, I wish I could share it with her or even give it to her," I said as tears filled my eyes as we were obviously near to losing her if the pain in my fathers eyes was anything to go by.

He looked at me and pulled out my arm, pushing up my sleeve. "That's it, maybe that is it. I could try. Anything is better than losing a daughter," he said. His eyes wide as his mind processed something.

"What?" I asked.

"Come on," he said pulling me out of the Pantry and into the bar. He looked around spotted Tom and the others and headed over to the table. "I have a plan," he said pulling up a stool as everyone leant in to listen. Tom looked up put his arm out and pulled me onto his knee so I could hear too.

We listened intently as my father gave a list of items he needed and when my part in it was described I felt my hand tighten in Tom's, only then did I realise I was holding it, fingers interlaced.

"Oh sorry," I said and tried to break the hold. Tom's hand didn't budge he just winked and continued to listen to my father.

"There is some trading but I think we can find most of it locally or at least get it made," Tom said.

"Good," my father said.

"Are you sure there is no risk to Ella?" Tom asked.

"No she will be fine, tired and need rest but other than that she will be ok," my father said.

"Ok," Tom said as his hand caressed my back unintentionally as though reassuring me.

As the others moved off to go prepare and my father went to tell Michael, Tom held me in place. I turned to look at him.

"Are you sure about doing this Ella?" Tom asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"Are you scared?" he asked.

"More anxious than scared," I said "But I know our father would never hurt us so I am not scared... well maybe a little," I admitted.

"Do you want me to stay with you, hold your hand?" he said looking down at the hand he still held.

I smiled, "No you have more important things to do," I said.

"You're important," he said.

"I am not that important," I replied.

"Depends on whose perspective you are looking from?" he replied, staring at me.

"Whose?" I asked.

"Mine," he said, "You are important to me."

I smiled at him, "Ok charmer, you can hold my hand," I said before I kissed his cheek and ruffling his hair.

He let go of my hand and caught hold of the other which ruffled his hair, pulling me to his chest so I couldn't reach to do it again. Tilting me back in his left arm, he stared at me nose to nose, "You know I hate having my hair ruffled," he growled sexily.

I giggled as he started to tickle me, "Ok, ok I won't do it again," I promised.

He let me go and I got up and started to walk away. I turned quickly and ruffled his hair. He was up and out of his chair in seconds chasing me through the bar, I ran into the kitchen and just about made it to the back door when he caught me, making me squeal.

"You're for it now!" he said and pinned me to the floor, pulling my shoe off.

"No, No," I begged, "Not the feet, not the feet."

He paused and smiled so I scrambled across the floor on my hands and knees. The sound of him in pursuit made me panic, I scrambled into the pantry, the door still ajar from when my father and I had left. I turned to push the door closed but he caught me.

"No!" I squealed laughing hysterically, I could hardly breathe as he found my foot and bit it.

I tried to wriggle loose, squirming everywhere and trying to bite him back as he tickled my foot. I kicked my leg but he was leaning over me pushing my knee to my chest so I couldn't kick.

I snapped my teeth, "Ah ah, no biting!" he said like he was telling Ollie off.

"You can talk, he gets it from you not me," I said as he bit my foot again sending me bucking everywhere to escape it. He fell forward slightly and I dove forward and bit him, catching his lip between my teeth like I used to when we would play fight. It was habit I didn't mean to do it.

We stopped frozen still, looking at each other, his lip in my teeth, I let it go.

"Sorry," I said biting my own with embarrassment.

He stood up and put out his hand to help me to my feet. I accepted his hand and got to my feet, adjusting my clothes and he turned to walk out of the pantry and the blonde lover walked in.

"Tom I was looking for you," she said. "You are wanted..."

I walked out of the pantry behind him making a show of still fixing my clothes, "Here let me fix that," I said to Tom and tucked a bit of his shirt back in his trousers, looking all flushed and my hair way array after the wrestling.

"Oh," she said her face ashen as she turned and walked out of the kitchen.

"Sally wait," Tom said and ran after her.

I felt a twinge of guilt in my stomach but it was soon quashed by a feeling of "HA!"