Chapter 12

Tom looked at me as he tried to take in what Michael had just said. He smiled at me, shook his head as though Michael had been teasing him and reached over to the desk drawer. He took out a key and opened the door motioning for me to leave.

"You don't want to talk?" I asked confused but impressed that he had a spare key.

He shook his head. It stung! He didn't want to discuss it. I was gob smacked. We walked out of the room and down towards the bar. Tom stopped at what used to be our room and knocked the door. Sally opened it.

"I just wanted to let you know that we have removed all of Ella's weapons so she can't cut your throat or shot you for insinuating that you and I were lovers or other such nonsense," Tom said making me stare at him in shock as I felt her stare at me in return. "She is very sorry for wanting to kill you, aren't you Ella," Tom said and nudged me.

I tutted, "Fine I won't kill you," I said with a sigh. "And Tom is sorry for throwing you overboard for followed him around his ship like a lost puppy," I added.

"No I'm not," he replied.

"Why do I have to apologise for wanting to kill her if you won't apologise for throwing her overboard?" I asked moodily.

"There is a difference between someone getting wet and cutting someones throat," Tom countered.

"Blood is wet," I countered at which point Sally fainted.

"Unbelievable!" he said annoyed with me as he bent to pick her up and I heard Robert and the others giggling down the corridor. "I don't know why you are laughing Ella you would have fainted too had someone threatening to cut your throat when you first arrived here. You were not so different to her; you used to touch me too. Now look at you!" he said shaking his head. "You are more weapons than woman. We have enough to deal with trying to get Virginia back to good health without you threatening our guests."

"I..."

"Just go see your sister or something," he snapped as Robert joined him to help lift Sally onto the bed. She looked pale as a ghost and so young. What was I doing? No wonder he didn't want to talk if all I spoke about was threatening to slit someone's throat, blood and other selfish things.

I walked down to the bar feeling numb, shell shocked, tormented, tortured and rebuffed.

I was hurt and angry. How could I let myself get fooled into believing it was that easy? That I could just decide I wanted him back and he would fall at my feet thanking me. I knew him better than that, he didn't suffer fools gladly and I had been a fool.

I had hurt him worse than anyone else ever could and then I have the audacity to decide I want him back and expect us to continue where we had left off. What a stupid girl I was!

As I sat down looking out to sea and going over everything in my mind I realised he didn't want me. 'You are more weapon than woman' he had said. He didn't find me attractive anymore. I was bereft.

Tears blurred my sight as I rest my chin on my knees, pulling them tight to my chest. Hugging myself for comfort as the image of him shaking his head, played over and over in my mind.

Why was I so shocked? It had been a long time since I had seen him. I had not seen or spoken to him in nearly a year. I had cut off all communication with his family to try to let myself heal. I had moved away. Taken his children; resulting in his missing out of them growing up. The only time he got to see them was when his father took them home and as no one mentioned him, I have no idea how many times if any he had seen them following our divorce.

I had even refused his support and taken a job, found my own home and supported the children myself. Basically given him a spiteful slap in the face.

He has said we can still be friends and I had accepted that friendship... or had I... was I just accepting it because the sight and smell of him drove me crazy. Was the only reason I accepted it because deep down I hoped it would lead to sex?

I had hoped.... But all hope was now gone and it was time for a reality check. Tom, is my ex husband. Time to start thinking of him that way and not as a sexual object for me to taken back and throw away whenever he vexed me.

Friendship - I could do that. I could be Tom's friend. I would be the best friend he could ever hope for.

I sat tracing my finger over and over the shape, before I realised where I was sitting. It was Angela's grave. I sat tracing the skull and cross bones as I had before. It was so breathtaking up here as it gave you a birds eye view of everything, the bay, harbour, house, school etc.

"Hi," I heard and turned to see Tom.

I smiled at him.

"Can I join you?" he asked.

"Yeah sure, I was actually just leaving..."

"Just stay a minute longer so she can have us both here," he said as he came to sit beside me.

I nodded as I felt my heart scream for him.

We sat in silence for a few minutes just watching the horizon before hearing my name called from down on the beach. I stood to look and waved, running down towards the house. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me and into pirate Joe's arms as he swung me around, hugging each other. Oh I had missed him I hadn't seen him in weeks.

The children came squealing over, Thomas launching into his arms and Rosie quickly followed. Hugging and kissing him.

"We missed you," Rosie said.

"Oh I missed you too," Joe said kissing her cheek.

"How did you know we were here? Did you go to our house?" Thomas asked, wide eyed with excitement.

"No I was near here and brought something your granddad needs. I have to head off shortly but seeing you here is a lovely surprise," Joe said.

My sister approached with Ollie who squealed at seeing Joe, he loved Joe. Joe set the other two down and reached out for Ollie who dove into his arms and gave him a big sloppy kiss. A kiss not a bite!

"He has started to walk," I said enthusiastically.

"Really?" Joe said, "Come on then show me what you have got?" he said putting Ollie to the floor. Holding him steady, he stood back a few steps, arms stretched out and called for him. Ollie took off into his arms, squealing and laughing hysterically when Joe flung him in the air and caught him. He loved that move.

"Come on I'll fix you something to eat before you go," I said to Joe and we walked my arm around his waist, his around my shoulder and Ollie in his arms to the bar. I had missed him.

We chatted about his trades and the latest information on friends. The children sat with us fighting over his knee space as we all ate supper. Little Rosie and Thomas sang him a new song they had learnt at school. Ollie sang 'la la' along and Joe's heart melted as mine swelled with pride.

Robert came over, "Hey Joe, thanks for bringing that for us. How's things?"

"You're welcome, everything is great. How is Virginia?" Joe asked.

"She is feeling better with Ella being here," Robert said.

"Yeah seeing Ella always makes me feel better," Joe said teasing me.

I giggled and Robert did too.

The children went off to play and Ollie was ready for a sleep.

"Ella you are needed," Robert said.

"Yes I must get off," Joe said. He shook Robert's hand and gave me a big bear hug and kiss on the cheek. "See you soon," he said and tapped me on the nose.

Robert and I watched him leave before heading upstairs as I had to put Ollie to sleep first.

"He is a wonderful man Ella," Robert said.

"Yeah I know," I said with a smile.

"So will I be expecting a wedding soon?" he asked.

"Who knows?" I said as my heart swelled. "I certainly hope so."

Robert kissed me my cheek. "Me too."