Chapter 18

My whole body was trembling reading the letter as my mind tried to take in the words and their meaning.

Could it be this easy after everything that has happened and all that was said. Could I just run to him?

He had accused me of just using him for sex, telling me I didn't love him really it was just physical attraction.

He demanded that I stop behaving like a pirate, training to fight and carrying daggers. He wanted me to be a wife and mother who he could defend. He wanted me to depend on him.

I had told him I was what life had made me and there was no turning back, I had to carry weapons to defend myself and the children, that he had not been there when we needed him albeit unintentionally and as such I could not count on him and refused to throw down my daggers.

He wanted me to move back to the Island and give up working, he was unhappy that I refused his financial support. He said it was an insult and made him look like a bad father and husband.

I reminded him he was not my husband, he said he was, we had not signed anything to state other wise and as such I should treat him with more respect and allow him to be the man of the house and support his wife and children.

I told him to go take a run and jump! I would not lay down my weapons and be unarmed when going into battle, I would not sit back and wait on him to give me money, I would continue to work and trade. I would not be the kind of wife who just sits on the beach with the children waiting for her husband to return and make her pregnant again before sailing back off to sea for months on end leaving me holding the baby and running the bar.

I had tried that, it didn't work. I had been through hell and nearly lost my life. In truth I did died and Virginia would have surely been dead had I not defended her. We were the ones who had saved our children's lives and all when he and Michael weren't there so how dare he claim to be able to defend us or be there in our time of need when they hadn't managed it once so far!

I told him he was right, it was probably just a sexual thing and I was convincing myself to love him as I was so used to it. I said he had best leave because he couldn't love me as he didn't know me. The Ella he claimed to love and wanted as a wife was long gone, dead and buried along with the child I had lost when he was again not there to help me.

He cursed at me and left.

My mind rolled over the argument. I couldn't just let a dress and a letter sway me. We were still the same people, we still had enemies out there and nothing had been resolved. I had to accept that Tom and I were never going to agree and as such I would have to press him for divorce in order to free us both from the bonds of marriage.

With that thought my heart started beating like a drum in my ears, my mind whirling, my body shaking.

"Ella, are you ok? You look..."

I fainted. When I came around a few minutes later Virginia was mopping my brow with a wet cloth. Oh my god the dress, I tried to get up so as to not crease it.

"Steady now," Virginia said. "You took quite a spill."

"I don't want to ruin the dress," I said. My mouth dry as she passed me some water.

"I read the letter, I hope you don't mind, I just wanted to know why you fainted," she said. "It is a lovely letter, it made me cry," she said tearing up again. "But something tells me that the reason you fainted is because you're pregnant again!"

I nodded weakly and burst into tears feeling stupid and emotional.

"Oh Ella, you poor thing, what am I going to do with you?" she said shaking her head.

"Hellooo" we heard called from down stairs.

"Upstairs dad," Virginia called."I sent the farmer to fetch him."

My father came up. He ran over. "What happened? You look awful," he said.

"She fainted," Virginia said.

"Let's get her up on the bed," my father said.

"I'm fine," I protested.

"Ella, you are white as a ghost, sweating, cold and shaking," he said. "Now do as you are told."

They helped me up but my head began to spin again, and I became breathless.

"How long have you been feeling like this?" my father asked.

"A couple of weeks, on and off," I said.

"Let's get you out of this amazing dress so I can examine you," he said.

"I am fine. I am just a bit tired. I will rest whilst you two catch up and I'll be right as rain," I said trying to sound chipper.

"You are not fooling me or your sister now get undressed and lie down," he said. Virginia giggled as my father checked my pulse. "Your heart is racing far too quickly!" he said shaking his head.

They helped me out of the dress and I lay down. My father examined me and put me on bed rest. I was fuming! Virginia had come to visit not be a nurse maid! However, I had to admit I felt terrible. My head ached so I much it was hard to keep my eyes open and my heart throbbed, beating in my ears like a pulse making my headache worse.

I woke in the middle of the night from a dream scared and terrified but I couldn't remember what I was dreaming about. I put my hands over my face in fear as I started to cry, the beating sound still there... echoing in my ears. Then I heard it and nearly screamed. It was a scratching noise...

"Oh god!" I covered my ears and thought of Tom. Imagining him telling me "It's probably a tree brushing against a window," to help calm me down.

"Tom," I called as I listened again but remembered he wasn't here. "Virginia," I called.

No answer. It took me a few terrified moments to draw the courage to get out of bed to go see her, tip toeing across to Rosie's room where she was staying.

"Virginia," I whispered.

"Mmm," she said opening her tired eyes.

"Can you hear that noise? Like scratching?" I asked.

"No," she said after listening for a while.

"I'm scared, and my heart is still beating in my ears, it is driving me crazy. Can you come sleep with me in my room, please?" I pleaded like a scared child.

She nodded half asleep and walked back to my room with me. We got into my bed, cuddled up and I was just drifting off to sleep when I heard the noise again.

My heart stopped and I held my breath. Virginia's eyes snapped open in fear. I put my finger to my mouth and slid my hand under my pillow to fetch the dagger hidden in the case. She looked towards her pillow, I nodded she slid her hand in to retrieve the dagger hidden there.

We slid out of the bed, creeping out onto the landing. I went first. I moved down the stairs to the parlor, my steps light and my breathing minimal to allow me to hear more clearly.

The scratching noise sounded again. I was terrified and nearly screamed but Virginia covered my mouth and shook her head. It was the door, something was scratching against the door. She nodded towards it, daggers at the ready.

I quickly pulled the door open and we both jumped back and screamed as Monkey ran in and jumped on the side.

My heart racing as Virginia and I laughed in relief.

"How did you get here?" I asked to him happy to see him as I put my arms out for a cuddle.

He didn't jump in my arms, Virginia looked at me confused and then terrified. I turned to see what made her scream. Monkey man!

It all went black.