Chapter 8

As Robert appeared back on deck after his rest, I smiled. He truly was a lovely man.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

"Yes, I enjoyed it," I said.

"Missed the sea huh?" he said.

I laughed gently, "I suppose I did."

"Where are the children?" he asked.

I pointed; Rosie was flat out asleep on the floor in a star shape.

He smiled.

"I tend to just leave her where she drops, she is so moody lately if you wake her," I said.

"Just like her Nanny," he said with a smile.

"Thomas is with the crew being a pirate," I advised.

Robert grinned, "He is a good boy." I nodded in agreement.

"Ollie is still asleep with his father," I said my breath catching as the image of them both cuddled up asleep filled my mind. Robert pulled me in for a cuddle. I hugged him back as tight as I could and bit my lip to fight back the tears.

"Do me a favour Ella, can you go to Tom's desk and fetch me the other map?" he asked all of a sudden.

"Sure," I said and with a peck on his cheek I went down and tip toed into the room so as not to wake Tom and Ollie in the adjacent quarters. I looked for the map on the desk, my eyes scanning. It was not there. I slid out a drawer and stopped dead in my tracks.

A sketch of me obviously drawn by my sister in a gold frame, it was outstanding. Beside it lay my wedding ring and a piece of paper. I opened the letter knowing what it was.

My dearest husband,

As you find this letter, know that I am missing you more and more with each passing moment.

This letter contains a magic kiss, an everlasting kiss just like our love.

No matter where you are or how long you are gone this kiss will be with you. No-one can take it from you, not even I. They cannot taste it for themselves. It is yours and yours alone.

I give it to you, as I give you my heart, my soul, my everything, now and forever.

I wait patiently for your return my love. You are in my every thought, dream and fantasy.

Keep safe and know that I love you more and more with every beat of my heart, as it only beats for you.

I love you my Captain Tom, my Pirate Captain, my wonderful husband.

p.s. Hurry home and make love to me. Patience has never been a virtue I possess.

I had stained my lips with berry juice and kissed the paper, the red stain still there.

I realised then that Robert didn't want a map at all, he wanted me to find this.

I snuck over to peak through the bedroom door. Tom was asleep with Ollie cuddle up to his chest, just like when he was a tiny baby. I had never seen Ollie sleeping so happy and content and for so long. My heart thumped hard as the ache inside grew. I turned and left quickly.

I ran to the galley and fought against the tears as I fixed some food for everyone. Just as the stew was ready to serve I warmed the scones I had baked at home that were packed so as not to waste them. This should fill their hungry bellies.

"That smells good," Tom said behind me. I turned to see him holding Ollie.

I smiled.

"Did you have a nice rest?" I asked.