jace herondale : make you happier

(Y/N) sat in the chair near her office, papers laid across the desk in front of her, the lamp was the only thing lighting the room. Her hands were dove into her hair, pulling at the roots in stress and anxiety.

Being the head of the New York Institute wasn't light work, some days (Y/N) worked from dusk till dawn with no break. She was in charge of so much. Training younger Shadowhunters that live in the area, arranging patrol schedules, communicating with the Clave and local Downworlders.

But she wasn't doing it all alone. She had Jace, her husband of almost three years now. They had been named the Head of the New York Institute shortly after being married, seeing as Robert Lightwood was becoming Consul to the Clave. Ever since she and Jace had run the Institute side by side.

A small light came on above (Y/N)'s desk, her head snapping to look at it. The light was supposed to signal that someone was coming through the portal in the library. She narrowed her eyes at the light before jumping from her seat and rushing out the door, grabbing a Seraph Blade from beside her desk.

(Y/N) was nervous as she burst into the library, gliding down the stair case as she called out a sharp Cassiel to light her blade. As she landed at the end of the stairs she stopped, pausing as she saw who was coming out of the portal.

Jace was standing in front of the portal, a smile wide across his face, as colors of blue and purples opened in front of him. From the portal came a girl, with a main of fiery red hair and black Shadowhunter gear.

(Y/N) felt her stomach drop when she realized who the girl was. It Clary Fairchild, Jace's ex-girlfriend. Not just any girlfriend from his younger years, this was the girl he swore to burn the world down for, the girl he killed for and the girl he traveled through universes for. She lowered her blade to her side and seethed it on her belt, feeling like she was watching one of her worst nightmares.

Clary called Jace's name when she landed from the portal, her high pitched voice echoing through the halls of the library. She then ran to him, tossing her small body into his massive arms. To which Jace pulled her to him, hands lost around her back and in her hair. He then buried his face in her neck, as if he would never let her go.

They both pulled away after what seemed like forever, staring at each other.

Jace was the first of the two to notice (Y/N), not pulling away from Clary as he acknowledged her, "(Y/N), I thought you were up in the office." He pointed out, not bothering to introduce (Y/N) and Clary. They had met before, the first time was after she and Jace has been together for almost a year. Clary didn't like her, but she supposed that was fair.

To (Y/N), Clary and Jace has an odd relationship. They were ex's, they were the couple that everyone thought would end up together. But Jace was also the one who introduced Clary to the Shadow world and Clary was the first girl he ever loved. The two had been together through a war, how could they let that person out of their lives? It was far to complicated for (Y/N) to understand.

"I was." (Y/N) said, meeting Jace's eyes. "But the Portal light came on, I wasn't aware we were having anyone come through so I came running." She explained, he voice tense. (Y/N) couldn't help but wonder what Clary was doing here, wonder how often she came to the Institute without (Y/N)'s knowledge.

Jace stepped away from Clary, and she followed him, as he met his wife at the bottom of the stairs. "Clary needed a book for one of her classes at the Academy and the only copy is in this library." He told her, seeing the jealousy in her eyes. "So I told her she was welcome to stay for a little while, however long she needs." His voice was cautious as he searched her eyes, seeing them blaze with anger for a moment.