jace herondale : something i said

(Y/N) glanced  sideways at Jace, who was silent beside her, as they sat on the edge of the skyscraper staring down at the New York Streets. She could tell by the way he was sitting - with one leg hung off the side of the building and the other pulled to his chest, his shoulders tense and his body leaned forward - that something was wrong. (Y/N) could also tell something was bugging him because Jace was silent, usually he was cracking jokes or at least saying something but now his lips were pressed into a thin line.

"Izzy just texted." Jace said shortly, his eyes averted from hers as he looked down at his phone. "She's going to take our shift." He continued, this sentence just as short as the last.

She stared at him, studying his body language as Jace rose to his feet. For the past couple weeks he had been acting strange- avoiding her in the hall, refusing to spare with her and keeping all their conversations short — and (Y/N) wasn't sure why.

(Y/N) nodded, "Okay, want to grab a bite to eat on our way back? Chinese or maybe pizza?" She asked, trying to find a way to open a line for conversation. Lately it seemed like she could barely get ten words out of him at a time.

Jace's body tensed as she spoke, his body turned away from her, "I'm not hungry." His voice was hard as he started scaling down the building. (Y/N) knew he was lying, she had never known Jace to not be hungry. She stared down at him, before letting out a defeated huff, and followed him.

***

(Y/N) made her way to the training room- dressed in leggings and a sports bra, her hair tied into lose braids and pushed back with a headband - for a little more work on her knife throwing aim. You could never train too much as a Shadowhunter.

When she entered the room her eyes moved to Jace, whose back was too her and viciously assaulting the bunching bag. He wore no shirt, only a pair of black joggers that hung low on his waist. His back tensed as she entered the room, the muscles of his back tightened for a second. Jace inhaled sharply, turning around to look at her.

His eyes widened for a second, meeting hers, before he turned back around quickly and went back to laying punches across the bag.

She tried to ignore his behavior, walking towards the weapons room. (Y/N) drew out three throwing knives, turning one in her hand and tucking the other two on her belt. The sound of her heart thumped in her throat and (Y/N)'s eyes flickered to Jace every few second.

(Y/N) threw one knife at the target, the end piercing the foam - directly on the center -  with a small screech that echoed through the training room. Her eyebrows narrowed in concentration before she threw another knife, this one landing only centimeters away from the last. She hissed under her breath, since it was now further away from the other. When the third, and final, knife hit the target she heard a large grunt come from behind her.

When (Y/N) looked towards the sound, to find that the dummy was laid across the ground - and Jace was storming from the room.

Now (Y/N) was sure she was the reason Jace was acting so strange. She ripped the tape from her hands, plucking each knife from the target swiftly before she took off after Jace down the hall. On her way out she passed Alec, whose eyes followed her but said nothing, and Izzy who called after her in confusion.

"Where the fire?" Izzy said, a smirk clear on her face.

(Y/N) smiled, spinning to face the Lightwood siblings, "I need to have a chat with Jace." She said, her voice smooth as silk.

Alec and Izzy shared a look, fear for Jace, before making their way into the training room.

(Y/N) continued after Jace, realizing that she had lost sight of him. There was only one other place he could be, the garden. Jace was always in the garden, among the plants. He liked it the most because no one went there, so most of the time it was his quiet place. (Y/N) had found him there once in accident, ever since they had gone up there to talk when either one needed to get something off their chest.

"Jace?" She called, pushing through the doors to the green house. Her head rotated on a swivel, looking around for any sign of the blonde. "We need to talk come on." (Y/N) said, one hand cupped around her mouth and the other running down the twists of her braids.

Jace was seated up in the rafters, hands twisting his ring around in his fingers. It was a habit that he had picked up when he moved to New York, something that reminded him of his childhood and helped him think. He sighed, realizing he better face the music, before jumping from the ceiling and landing next to her with no sound.

(Y/N) felt a gush on wind beside her, before turning and seeing Jace rise to his feet from a squatted position. His blonde hair flipped back over his head. Jace then placed his hands together and slid his ring back onto his finger.

(Y/N) sighed, "Jace." She said breathless, now realizing that he had found a shirt between the training room and the garden.

"You said you wanted to talk." He said, his voice monotone and arms now stuck into the pockets of his joggers. Jace looked up at her from under his lashes, waiting for her to speak.

(Y/N) shook her head, "Right." She said to herself, before regaining her composure and narrowing her eyes at him. "What is your problem lately?" She asked, trying not to sound to mad at him.

Jace looked at her, "What?"

"You know what I mean Jace." She said with the roll of her eyes. It was hard for her not to explode, not to break down and scream at him, to demand he tell her what was going on. "You walk out of a room the moment I walk in, you won't look at me for longer than a few seconds, you don't want to get Chinese after patrol and you won't talk to me." She exclaimed, finding that she was acting far to dramatic for her own good.

Jace looked at her shocked but only found a few words, "This had nothing to do with you." (Y/N) had known Jace long enough to know he was lying.

"You're lying!" She yelled, watching Jace blink as her voice rose. "Come on Jace tell me, was it something I said? Something I did?" (Y/N) asked, her voice no longer loud and echoing off the glass of the green room. Her voice was low, nearly breaking, as the words passed her lips.

Jace sighed, realizing there was no way to get out of this situation without telling her the truth. "Look (Y/N), I'm not upset at you or anything." Jace wanted her to know that there was nothing she had done to cause his sudden change in the past few weeks.

She huffed aggressively, "Just tell me, Jace, come on we've known each other forever." (Y/N) told him, feeling pain build up in her chest. "Whatever it is you can tell me and we'll handle it-"

"I'm in love with you." Jace confessed quickly, cutting her off. His chest rose and fell heavily with anxiety.

There was a long pause between them, the only sounds were that of the New York winds blowing above them and their matched breathing filled the air. (Y/N) couldn't remember the last time there had been an awkward silence between them, she made note of this one.

Jace spoke before her, "You're not saying anything." He said, rubbing the back of his neck and bitting his lower lip. "Please (Y/N)." Jace begged, finding himself acting stranger and stranger the second he spent with her.

"I-" She paused, trying to make this sentence coherent. "Why didn't you just tell me Jace? We've been friends for years." (Y/N) continued, shaking her head.

Jace placed both hands behind his head, "Come on, how are you not freaking out?" He asked, his hands clenched into firsts at his sides.

She laughed lightly, crossing the green room so that she was less than a foot from Jace. (Y/N) knew that if she took too deep of a breath that her chest would brush his.

"Because hearing you're in love with me is the best news I've heard in weeks."

~~~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 1482

This sucked