kit herondale : look out

Inchor sprayed everywhere, covering the sand of the beach, soaking the leather gear that the Shadowhunters wore. (Y/N) had inchor in her hair and smeared across the gear she wore. She spit to keep from swallowing it, spinning in the direction of the next Demon she was going to slay.

Around her swung the weapons of the Blackthorn children - Julian, Livvy and Ty - along with Cortana, Emma's sword, and a Seraph blade that Kit handled. (Y/N) found herself looking for Kit the most, seeing that the untrained Shadowhunter was safe. She turned away when she saw Ty's back pressed to Kits, the two keeping each other safe.

In the past few months the Demon population in Los Angeles had risen dramatically, and as a result Julian - the eldest brother and team leader - had no choice but to let the younger Shadowhunters help out. (Y/N) was a year older than Livvy and Ty, making her a year younger than Emma and Julian.

"Dammit." (Y/N) hissed as a Demon got hold her her arm, the poison burning her skin. She rose her arm blade, a combination of fury baton and a sword, to slash through the skin of the Demon attached fo her. (Y/N) then pulled the tentacle off of her, before turning around to look at those around her.

There was Julian and Emma, moving perfectly in tandem as they killed all the Demons around them. Every few seconds Julian would glance around to make sure that all his siblings were alright - and they were. Livvy held a sword in her hand, moving graciously as she cut through the flesh of those trying to attack her, (Y/N) wondered how she looked so good covered in inchor. Ty, now separated from Kit, had his headphones on and was surely moving to the beat. He had throwing stars in each hand, placed between his fingers, and was hitting each Demon with a marksmen's precision.

(Y/N) whirled to look at Kit, his back completely exposed as he focused on the two Demons in front of him. For a someone with such little training he was surely holding his own. She saw him holding a Seraph blade in his hand, slashing strategically at the two Demons at his front.

Her eyes widened as another Demon came from the ocean, making its way towards Kit. (Y/N) jumped into the air, pushing off the ground and soaring over Kit and the two Demons he was fighting. She threw two small knifes she had been carrying - each one hitting the first two Demons square between the eyes. (Y/N) landed between Kit and the third Demon silently, thanks to her silencing rune, before she swung both of her fury blades into the Demon. It screamed before falling to the ground besides her.

Kit turned to face her, but it was too late, she was already speaking. "What the hell were you doing, you didn't even look behind you!" (Y/N) yelled at him, poking her finger sternly against his chest.

He was stunned, "I'm sorry, I just almost died and you're yelling at me?" Kit asked carefully, backing away from (Y/N). He looked her up and down, she was fierce like Shadowhunters were supposed to be. Her shoulders were pulled back, her chest rising and falling heavily, her hair whirling in multiple directions as the coastal breeze hit her.

"Yes because you're an idiot, it's not that difficult we've gone over it several times!" (Y/N) hissed at him, whipping the side of her blades against her pants. Inchor stained the side of her legs, oh how she hoped it would come out.

Rage burned threw (Y/N) like never before. Usually she was calm, able to keep her feelings shoved down and controlled, but for some reason Kit got under her skin. He made her skin crawl with just one look, the way his lips curled into the iconic Herondale smirk made her want to burst into flames.

Kit smirked then, his lips pulling back over his teeth to make a knowing smile. He wiped his hand across his face, smearing the inchor across his brow, "Next time you're worried about me just say is instead of yelling at me." He told her, winking as he attached a now docile Seraph blade to his belt.

Her eyes widened as she looked at him, trying figure out if his arrogance as something he got from being a Herondale or if it was something he got from living with his father, Johnny Rook. She figured it was probably both, she had met Jace and even he wasn't so bold now.

(Y/N) dropped her jaw, dumbfounded by his words. "I'm not worried with you." She said confidently, straightening her back further. Kit had picked up on that habit of hers, she would do so when someone who challenged her was right. If Ty corrected her, or if Livvy told her she wasn't using the compute right- or if Kit insisted he knew a better way of doing things.

"Okay, whatever you say." Kit said with the roll of his eyes, smiling to himself as his chest seemed to explode with butterflies. He loved being right, but in this moment he wanted to be right more than ever before. Kit wanted her to admit she was worried about him, that she cared about him.

(Y/N) didn't know what to say, she couldn't dare admit that he was right. But what else could she say? How was she supposed to admit to him that her heart had gotten lodged in her throat when the Demon rose from the sea? Kit would tease her, surely he would.

"Yeah okay." She mumbled, trudging through the sand and passed Kit, who was now standing with his mouth open as he processed her words. When he finally fully understood her words his face broke light, before he took off up the beach to her. There was no way that conversation was over.

~~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 1012