At least someone has a date

I let myself in with the key that Gemma had given me years ago and hummed happily as I walked into the kitchen, where Gemma, Glen and Louise apparently had just finished their dinner. I greeted them and sat down at Ethan's regular place.

"Hello little bro! You seem happy?!" Gemma said, eyeing me as I picked up a piece of bread.

"Well I am happy, actually." I smiled, starting to munch the edges. I really was happy. At first I had been afraid that my flirting would be too forward or would scare Liam, but none of that appeared to be true. He even returned some of my touchy feely moves, although I could tell he was still a bit nervous about it. And then that hug and kiss in my car... I knew we still had a long way to go, but at least now I felt like there was really hope for us. So, yes, I was happy, ever since Wednesday I was humming and singing my way through the days.

"That's good. Have you eaten Harry?" Oh my ever so caring sister.

"Yes Gem, I have, it's just me and my bread addiction. Where's our lover boy?"

Glen chuckled. "In the bathroom for the last 45 minutes. I went to check on him 15 minutes ago but he insisted that he didn't need any help."

"He's so nervous," Gemma smiled. "When are you leaving?"

"In five minutes if he doesn't want to be late, traffic is a real bitch tonight. Sorry Gemma." I added an appology immediately, knowing she would be shooting daggers as soon as the swear left my mouth. When we both still lived at home, she swore like a sailor herself, but ever since the kids were born, she had a strict non swearing policy in front of them. Although I was pretty sure Louise would know her fair share of swear words now that she was 14. And Ethan... well let's say he could compete with his mother when she was his age. "I'll go get him." 

"Ethaaaaaan, lover booooooooooooooy" I shouted upstairs as I walked down the hallway. His feet came thundering downstairs and a few seconds later his flustered face appeared at the top of the first flight of stairs. "I'm not a lover boy!" he said, trying to cover up for his blush. "Uncle Harry." Ouch. Touché. I hated to be called uncle, probably something to do with my fear of being old blah blah blah, but the kids just always called me Harry. Plain and simple. "Could you help me with my tie?" he pleaded as he handed me a silky royal blue tie. I did as he asked me while I looked him up and down. He looked pretty handsome, if I may say so. Black formal shoes, dark grey formal pants and assorted blazer, grey shirt and royal blue tie. The boy had taste. I took him into the kitchen so his parents could tell him he looked good (Gemma) and give him some last parental advice (Gemma the motherly worried part, Glen the how to score with a girl part) before we went outside to my car.

Glen and Gemma needed their own car tonight, because they would be visiting some friends, so Ethan had asked me if he could use mine. Perfect excuse for me to offer driving him to Liam's and spend the night with him myself when Ethan and Jude were out on their date. Liam had been happy with my offer, because Sam would be in bed quite early and Kate was on a sleepover for a friend's birthday.

"Are you nervous Ethan?" I asked, a big grin etched on my face as I saw him jittering his legs non stop.

"W-what? Me? Nervous? Oh, no, of course not. It's just a date!" he answered as the fiery red came back onto his cheeks.

I chuckled but decided to give him a break. "What are the plans for tonight?"

"There's an open air cinema at the river, there's a supposedly good movie playing tonight, and then maybe a few drinks after." I nodded approvingly. Good choice for a first date. Bitchy traffic appeared to have died down a bit, making us arrive at Liam's 10 minutes early. I got out of the car and walked up the driveway, only noticing Ethan was still in the car when I reached the front door. I shot him a questioning look, at which he only shrugged. "We're early Harry! I can't be this early on a first date, now can I?"