A small reunion

I turned my phone over and over in my hands, contemplating what to type in reply to his letter. I had woken up two hours prior to this moment, a little bit hyper because I had to clean up my house and the entire garden before tomorrow's barbecue. On my way to the kitchen, the first place to clean on my very, very long list, I had found the letter that was now lying in front of me on the doormat. I had been curious from the moment I'd recognised the writing on the envelope as Liam's. We had only seen each other last week, and the barbecue was planned for tomorrow, and texts had gone back and forth all week long, so it appeared a bit strange to receive another letter now.

I decided to make me some coffee and take the thick envelope outside so I could read it in the morning sun. I hadn't been expecting the story that was written on the seven pages of white paper, and the sadness and just the way I felt for Liam forced me to take three breaks before continuing, taking a few minutes to make more coffee, or mowing the lawn. Now I had finally reached the end, and I felt like I at least had to let him know that his letter had reached me, so he knew that I had read the story. I wanted to do more than just that though, I wanted to confirm that I was still here for him, no matter what. That I was willing to wait for him. Because I realised that, even if he would never get ready to move on and start dating, I would wait for him. I could never feel for someone the way I felt for him. I had truly loved Emily, I really did, but it still could compare in no way to what I had felt for Liam, and what I felt all over again now. I could never settle for anything less anymore.

I bit my lip, still thinking while I typed my message.

Liam, I got your letter and read it. Thanks for telling me all of this. It must've been so hard. I'm here if you need me babe. X Haz

After sitting in my chair for a few more minutes, I finally got up and started cleaning up the gigantic mess that was my house. I needed some parties or at least some visitors every now and then to make sure I did some cleaning. I put some loud guitar music on and got started, only pausing briefly to grab some lunch, the occasional cup of tea and dinner at eight. When I fell down on the couch around ten, the house looked impeckable, I was so proud of myself to have cleaned the first floor too, even though no guests would go up there so it wasn't completely necessary. The garden was cleaned up as well, the grass short again, leaves and stray wood cleaned up so we'd have space for the large garden table Gemma would bring tomorrow, as well as the barbecue. I decided to call it an early night, knowing I'd better get up early in the morning to get the shopping and preparations done before everyone would arrive in the early afternoon.

Gemma's car was already parked on my drive way when I came back from the store, I had forgotten some things on my first trip, so I had to return to get them after I'd finished preparing vegetables and potato salad en all that stuff. She had a key to my house, and I found her, Glen and their children in the backyard when I got inside myself. The table was already there, chairs around it, and Gemma was currently busying herself with setting the table while Glen stood at the barbecue together with Ethan. Louise was in the back of the garden, spread out lazily on a lounge chair, trying to get a tan as she read a book. I kissed my sister and niece before I joined Ethan and Glen at the barbecue, pretending to join in on the firestarting fun. Truth was I wouldn't know how to light a fire if my life depended on it, so I was happy Glen was a bit more of a macho man that took it on himself to do it. I teased Ethan a bit about Jude, causing him to blush furiously. He had sounded pretty interested when I told him about Liam's 15 year old daughter, and I knew he hadn't had a girlfriend in quite a while. I chuckled at his eagerness to meet this girl I had been talking about, especially when I remembered Liam's comment about her flirting habits. If I had any idea of what Jude would be like, Ethan was in for the rollercoaster ride of his life.

The delicious smell of the barbecue was already spread throughout the garden, and probably the entire neighbourhood when my phone rang. Liam was calling to let me know he was at the front door but nobody answered the doorbell. I hurried inside and greeted him and the three kids who were waiting not-so-patiently to get in. Jude looked extremely eager to meet Ethan, asking me if he was there already before she got inside, and ignoring Liam's pleas to tune it down a little bit. I confirmed his presence in the garden, at which she pushed past me and found her way through my living room and kitchen to the backyard. I said hello to Kate and Sam, chuckling at the football he was holding in his arms proudly, before I showed them the way.

"Quite a bachelor pad you have here Haz!" Liam teased as he admired his surroundings. I slapped him around the back of his head as he stepped outside, still chuckling a bit.

"Leeeyum!" My sister came running from the back of the garden to where we were standing, near the door to the kitchen. She engulfed him in a bone crushing hug before releasing him and holding him at arm's length. "You haven't changed one bit, have you? It's so good to see you again!"

I heard Liam politely denying her compliment before he complimented Gemma on her looks. I took Kate and Sam with me, introducing them to Glen, Ethan and Louise, although Ethan seemed a bit preoccupied by a certain curly haired girl that was putting it all out to impress him. It was cute though, and nothing like skanky or anything like that, so Glen and I just both shook our heads as we let them to it and we took some cans of soda out of the coolbox that was on the lawn next to the table. Kate was currently making conversation with Louise, both a can of coke in their hands, while Sam put his best puppy face on, begging me and Glen to play some football with him. Something we gladly agreed to as a glance to the other side learned that Gemma was still keeping hold of Liam. They always got along pretty well, so I guess it was only natural for them to catch up after 20 years. He joined our little footballmatch half an hour later, teaming up with his son while I played with Glen. About fifteen minutes later, Sam was obviously getting tired from running around so we decided to quit it and I headed to the kitchen to get the meat out. Liam followed me inside, being the gentleman he always had been to help me out, although I told him several times he could just sit down and relax. I gulped at the way he was leaning against the kitchen counter, as it reminded me so much of when we were still together. I supposed it was just one of his habits he never lost. I took out two beers and handed him one as I started organising the meat on different plates.

"Thanks for your text yesterday Haz." he finally said softly. I looked up at him and smiled.

"Thanks for your letter. Had a good time catching up with Gemma? I hope she didn't bore you with all of her workstories."

"It's actually really great to see her again, it made me realise how much I missed her. Your parents are not coming then?"

"No, they had some meeting at the local pub so they bailed out. They wanted me to say hi though."

He took one of the plates out of my hands after we both finished our beers, getting back outside to join the rest of our families. These few minutes would turn out to be the only private ones we'd get for the rest of the night, much to my regret. It had been a pretty enjoyable night though, everyone seemed to have fun and lots of laughter had been going around. Sam had fallen asleep on Liam's lap an hour or two before he finally decided to go home, and he looked utterly adorable, much like his dad when he was sleeping, I remembered.

Ethan had asked Gemma if he could stay the night here, something we used to do more but now it had been quite a while since our last time, due to my time writing and recording. We had just finished putting everything away in the fridge when I offered him a beer. Technically he was under age, but I knew Gemma and Glen allowed him to have an occasional beer around the house, so there was no reason why he couldn't have one now. He accepted the bottle with a wide grin before he slumped down on the couch, remote control in hand.

"So, Ethan, is she a good kisser?" He looked up startled, a blush creeping up his cheeks.

"Wha-what? Who? What do you mean?"

I chuckled at his alarmed expression. "I saw you two in the back of the garden, while you thought we were all too busy talking. I don't think your parents or Liam noticed though. And don't worry, I won't tell them."

His blush deepened even more, and he nodded before he spoke up again. "I got her phone number, think I should ask her out?"

I shrugged as I put my arms around his shoulder. "If you really like her, then yes, you should ask her out. Take her somewhere nice and give her a proper first date before kissing her again." I winked before turning my attention back to the TV, my mind already wandering to Wednesdaynight, when Liam and I would go to the movies together. Not a date, of course, but still.