Chapter 30

Everyone is here now, the music is on and the house is full of chat and laughter. By the looks of it everyone seems to be enjoying Alaina's day apart from my dad who is feeling sorry for himself in the armchair. He is sat with a face like thunder and when i told Paisley to go over and talk to him she refused and told me that he was "in a bad mood" and i think she might be right so i have piled a paper plate with some party food to take over to him.

"Here dad. I brought you some sandwiches, sausage rolls and stuff. There is loads of food in the kitchen, why don't you go through and see what else you fancy?"

"I'm not hungry. My head is throbbing with all of this noise. I'm going to go soon, my pigeons need feeding"

"Ungrateful, old sod" Joan mumbles under her breath as she walks passed us and i pretend that i did not hear it. Drunk Joan is going to make a reappearance very soon and shamefully i am looking forward to it. I have always found her hilarious after a couple of drinks and she is already well and truly tipsy, as is my mum who my dad is throwing daggers at from across the room.

"You've only been here half an hour, dad and Mum won't want to go yet. The party has just started"

"And i assume it will go on for hours. I have been at work all day so i am tired, Kimberley but your mum can stay. She can do whatever she wants for all i care, i mean she usually does-"

Realising that my mum and dad were probably at each other's throats before coming here i sigh and put the plate of food on the little table beside my miserable, old father who never used to be like this but i think the failing marriage to my mum has had an effect on him over the years. "Well i'd like you to stay but if you want to go it is up to you. I better go and see what Paisley is doing" I make my excuses and leave him in his own bubble of misery and self pity when i hear Cheryl call my name.

Paisley is stood dancing to the macarena in the middle of the living room and all eyes are on her. Cheryl taught her all of the dance moves and it has became her party piece. Everyone is watching her in awe, clapping their hands in time with the music and Cheryl's eyes are full of pride as she watches our little performer. "You alright, babe?" she asks when i walk over to her and i put an arm around her waist.

"Yeah, I'm just trying to keep my eye on Amy. She seems half pissed already. I don't know what to do with that girl, look at her"

We both look over at Amy pouring herself another gin and tonic and Cheryl rests her hand on top of mine. "She's just a teenager and she has a lot on her plate at the minute. She is just letting her hair down, i wouldn't worry too much about it because i bet you were the same at her age, i know i was"

"Yeah, i suppose you're right" I smile at her reassuring words but i am going to pull Amy to one side for a quick word when i get a chance and then i will relax properly and i will allow myself to enjoy this birthday party that already seems to be a major success. My friends, family and Lucy are here along with my cousin and her little boy who is running havoc around the house. A couple of my mum's neighbours that i have known all of my life are also here. All three of these women watched me grow up and after the death of poor Bab's good friend Edna i thought that inviting her and a couple of her cronies to Alaina's party would cheer her up and it seems to have done the trick as she sits doing her two favourite things- drinking and gossiping.

Nadine and Sarah are chatting to my mum in one corner of the room and Nicola is talking to my cousin. Adam is taking the piss out of Garry but he does not care. Adam is only laughing at him because he has one of Paisley's plastic tiaras on his head. Paisley always turns Garry into her very own fairy Godmother and Garry loves the bones of her so does not mind in the slightest. He does whatever he can to keep her happy even if that means looking like an idiot in front of a house full of guests.