Chapter 23

"Stop cleaning, Cheryl and come here"

Her constant cleaning and tidying up has annoyed me since she got in. Today she has came home for lunch but she didn't eat any of the sandwiches i made her. She will be going back to the studio in 10 minutes and she is pottering around doing things that don't need to be done. I would not mind if there was mess that she was actually cleaning but there isn't, Joan seen to that. Cheryl has been walking in and out of the room busying herself with silly little things. Sure she has been picking up toys and running around after the dogs but now she is polishing the photo frames on the mantel place and ranting and raving about how i left my shoes by the door...where she normally leaves hers. Paisley is at school and Hailie only does half days at playgroup so as soon as she got home Joan put her and Laney down for their afternoon naps. Garry is nursing his hangover after his boys night out with my brother and his friends last night so i was hoping Cheryl and i could spend her lunch break together because it is rare that we get any peace and quiet but she has barely stopped for a second for that to happen and has been very quiet since she got home.

"Have you seen the state of this, man?" Cheryl ignores me and turns around to show me the photo frame that i can not see a spec of dust on but she starts to wipe it down with a cloth anyways. "I might start taking the curtains down to wash"

"No you don't"

"Kimberley!" She exclaims with annoyance because i lean over the arm of the sofa and pull her towards me by the belt loop of her jeans. After stumbling backwards the back of her legs hit the sofa and she falls down beside me.

"Are you going to tell me what is wrong?" I ask her and she looks at me, forcing a frown onto her face as if i am stupid. She was absolutely fine when she left this morning but now she is quiet and it is strange.

"Nothing is wrong, what do you mean?"

"Well since getting home you've been... weird. Something is wrong and i want you tell me what it is"

"weird?"

"Well yeah. You're cleaning... it doesn't get any weirder than that!" I say and she lets out a little laugh before pulling away from me. Her thick hair is tied into a high ponytail and she brushes the little hairs away that are falling in front of her eyes with her fingers.

"I just don't feel that well. i think its nearly me time of the month. I feel as sick as a dog"

Satisfied with her answer i kiss the side of her head and i hear the livingroom door creak. Alaina is awake already and goes straight over to Cheryl. When Cheryl picks her up she holds her to her chest like she never wants to let go and when she rests her forehead on our daughter's she closes her eyes. "I love you so much" She whispers to her and there is so much emotion in her voice, i am positive now that something really is wrong and even more so when i realise that she is crying.

Alaina has noticed her tears too so leans back and holds her tiny palm to Cheryl's cheek while saying. "Don't cry, don't cry" over and over again. Cheryl forces a smile onto her face and hugs our child to her again.

"Mammy isn't crying" She insists but she is. I move closer to her and put a hand on her knee.

"Tell me what is wrong" I beg her but she shakes her head, still insisting that she is fine but at this moment in time as she cries into Laney's hair i know that she is anything but. "Cheryl, tell me now. I mean it because i'm jumping to all the worst case scenarios here. I know you and i know when something is wrong"

"You'll think i'm being daft"

I cock my head to the side and look at her properly. Reaching for her hand she lets me hold it and i say "No i won't. Tell me, please. Is it something to do with Alaina?" I guess. I think it must be because as soon as she saw her little face she burst into tears. I know Cheryl can be hormonal at times but this is not normal. She is struggling for the words so she just nods her head and another fat teardrop rolls down her cheek and drops off her chin. I move even closer to her and put my arm around back. Alaina is trying to get the tears off Cheryl's foundation free face and when she realises that they are not going to stop she leans forward and kisses her cheek. "I'll take her to Joan, then you can tell me" i take Laney from Cheryl's arms and go upstairs to ask Joan to keep her entertained while Cheryl and i have a chat downstairs. I am starting to worry now i don't know what it could be.