Chapter Twenty-One

the long awaited chapter

okay sorry for bullshitting these last few chapters, I'm getting onto the butt stuff and everything in THIS chapter, okay? alright.

Je t'aime gars.

<3

-Eren's POV-

"Petra, watch out!" I laughed as she crashed into a tree, getting tangled upside down and hanging, giggling. Landing on the branch abover her, I started untangling her, Levi making his way up the tree to catch her as she fell to the ground.

"Oops! Thanks, you two!" she called, speeding off to catch up with Erwin. Sasha flew past us, Connie trailing behind her, laughing, and we started chasing after them.

"This is fun, right, Levi?" I asked, looking over at him, and I almost dropped in shock. His eyes were wide open, a grin plastered on his face as he flew through the trees, elated. Landing and sitting on a tree branch, he pulled me over, his windblown hair settling as I landed next to him.

"I forgot how amazing it felt to fly," he sighed, looking out over the massive forest, and it wasn't long until out silent moment was interupted.

"HOLY MOTHER OF GOD NO!"

A call echoed through the trees, and Levi and I raced after it, only to find Connie leaning against a boulder, laughing his ass off. As we looked up to see one of Hanji's stupid titan dummies, Sasha was screaming, squeezing the life out of me.

"EEEEEREN! KILLLL IT!" she squealed, and I sighed, pushing her off of me.

"Sasha, it's not real. Besides, can you really not deal with a titan?" I asked as she plopped on the ground, wiping tears from her eyes.

"They're scary. They always were," she sniffed, and I sighed.

"Well, if you're not being murdered with a rusty spoon, we're out."

Levi and I left without a sound, Levi snickering and we flew together, the wind curling around us and the zipping sound of the 3DMG snipping through the soft hush of wind against the leaves. Sunlight filtered through the roof of green towering above us, dust specs caught in its rays, and as Levi passed through the ray, his smile could rival the shine of the light.

The crunching of fallen foliage under our feet met up with that of Mikasa's and Annie's as we walked back to the castle, hushed conversation making up the words that were lost. The feeling that could not be caught in a sentence, or a paragraph.

It would take and entire book to capture just one moment from then, and maybe a hundred more to frame Levi's smile.

The grin still was a ghost on his face, his eyes wild as he ran a hand through his hair, leaning up against the stone wall as everyone gathered outside.

"Thanks, everyone," he said once Marco and Armin had got back, Jean pouting, left out. Levi's voice still had an air of freedom around it, like he stil was caught in the past. Once we had changed back into our clothes and Levi had recieved his gift from everyone- a new laptop for work- we were ready to leave.

"Well, we best be going," I told him, dragging him away from everyone as I gazed up at the melted sky, lazy clouds drifting over the variety of colours, faint stars popping their way in, preparing for the darkness.

"Bye, everyone, thanks!" he called, clutching the gift bag tight to his chest as he started wandering along next to me, until we piled until Hanji's car.