Chapter Five

-Levi's POV-

I walked back in to the empty classroom, sitting down at my desk and propping my feet up. The door creaked open and I looked up from the book I was reading, only to see Erwin, a Social Studies teacher.
"Smith, what do you want?" I asked, putting the book down.
"Rumors are flying, Levi. The hell happened with you and that kid last night?"
"If you're so petty to wonder, the kid stayed at my apartment last night- he forgot the key to his."
"Oh, shit! Didn't try anything funny, did you?"
"Of course not, you pervert," I lied, looking back down at the book. "Now get out, don't you have anything better to do?"
The day dragged on, with me teaching the same dull thing to class after class, until lunch finally came, and so did Yaeger's activity period. He sheepishly walked into the classroom, and I grabbed his wrist and dragged him through the hallways, into the teacher's lounge. Nobody was there, and I threw him down at the table.
"Eren, why the fuck are you going to commit suicide?"
"We're not here about that, are we? Just about my amazing grammar," he muttered, toying at the edge of his notebook. I slid my hand under his chin and lifted his head up, causing him to blush and avoid looking at me.
"To hell we're here about your damned grammar. I don't want you to kill yourself."
"Why do you care?"
"Because I do. Now, I just want to know why."
"Mum's dead, dad's gone, I only have two friends, I'm horrible in school, and, to top it all off, I'm probably gay."
"Probably gay?" I asked, letting his head droop back down. "The fuck does that mean?"
"There's you, isn't there? And now with horseface spreading all these rumors..."
"Why is that a bad thing?"
"It's you."
"That stings."
"Hmph."
I sat down next to him and started to flip through the papers. We sat in silence as I read each one, not saying a thing about his damn grammar.
"Eren," I said, stopping at the last page that was written on. It was addressed to no other than Levi Rivaille.

Dear Levi,
I'll try my best to write correctly, as that is what you wanted from me. Thank you so much for all you did, even though it was only in one day.
This will be my last letter, for I will die tonight.
You were the last person to change my life.
Thank you.
Love,
Eren.

"I wanted to read this one here with you for the first time," I said, trying not to tear up. "Eren, you're not going to die tonight."

"Who are you to stop me?" he snapped, reaching his hand out to grab the notebook.
"Eren, I will take your fucking keycard and hide it so you have to come over again," I whispered in his ear, taking his outstretched hand and putting it on the table. "You have your whole life ahead of you- graduate, go to college. get a wife and have kids! All of those things you can do!"
"Levi, I'm worthless, can't you see that? Everyone else has already given up on me, why not you?"
"Eren, you're not worthless."
"Yes, I am! I have no friends, no life, nothing! My grades are horrible, and I definitely won't get into college!"
"Eren, don't give up on your life! I did t-" I stopped, looking at the years in his eyes, and the look on his face. Putting his hand down, I used my own to wipe off his face, and I pulled the brown hair out of his eyes.
"Eren, I did that a long time ago, and I didn't have anyone to save me. Nobody there for me, so I had to save myself. I have the scars to prove it," I whispered, letting him roll up the sleeves of my sweater, and he saw the long-healed cuts over my arms, and one stood out the most.
"I would have died if I didn't stop with that one- I was only millimeters away from cutting the artery, but I knew when to stop."
"L-Levi," he whispered, tracing the cuts with his fingers. "Why did... Why?"
"Because I had nobody except myself. I shut out everyone, and I got rid of my emotions. But you need someone there for you, Eren. And I'd love to be here for you."
"Levi?"
"Yes?"
"Th-Thank you," he whispered, then closed the space between our lips. It would have been perfect if I didn't see the door swing open at that moment.