Werewolf Forest::Chapter 23

Yeah, yeah I know it's been a while. Some of you probably think I'm dead or you hate me. Well here's chapter 23, COMMENT VOTE FAN! =D

* * * *

The morning air was crisp and cool; I could feel the chill of fall begin to creep up on the heat of summer. A few leaves had faded streaks of red and gold adorning their veins. The silence around the house was heavy, almost suffocating. The hour was early and the whole pack was still asleep in the house; Andrew and I were the only ones up to witness the sunrise.

I lay on my back in the grass and the fresh morning dew soaked though my thin tee-shirt. The chill from the water caused a shiver to pass through me.

"Here," Andrew said as he handed me his jacket.

"I'm fine," I put my hands behind my head and turned away from him.

"How long are you going to be like this, Maggs?" Andrew said with a sigh. I stayed silent, keeping my eyes glued to the murky morning sky. "Look, I'm sorry ok? I'm sorry I ever said it!" He stood, his hands clenched into tight fists. "I'm sorry that I actually feel a goddamn emotion once and a while! I thought that if I broke that stupid shell you keep around yourself all the time that maybe, just maybe..." His reddened eyes closed over unshed tears, and his cheeks were flushed the color of raw skin. He pinched the bridge of his nose and took deep breaths, calming himself.

I lay still there, my mind a blank as to what to say to this. The only time I had ever seen him upset like this was when his parents left him, once again, for a trip to Africa or Italy or Switzerland. He always got his hopes up when they got back from a trip. "This time will be different," he would say. "They'll take me this time, I know it. They promised" but nothing ever changed. I would always comfort him by saying, "I'll always be here for you," but in this case, that comfort was void. This time, I was the one hurting him. I was the one breaking my promise. The thought that I could cause him this kind of pain sent a pang of regret stabbing at my stomach. I wanted to jump up and hug him and tell him I was sorry, but I knew this was best for both of us. This pain would come at one point or another. Better to get it over with now and not prolong his suffering.

He ran a shaky hand through his hair and looked me in the eye. "You know what, Maggie? I can't do this anymore. I give up." His face was blank and emotionless except for the small glint of pain in his eyes. "I take it all back. Everything I said, everything I did; I take it back. Do whatever you goddamn please. I'm done." He stalked off to the house slamming the door behind him.

My breathing started to become rapid, the blood pulsing in my ears became all the louder. I could feel the watery warmth of tears brim my eye lids, but I held them back. I placed a shaky hand over my mouth as I silently sobbed.

Just when I thought I would hyperventilate, I heard the door open and close again. I whipped around, thinking it was Andrew, but my heart sank when I saw a very tired looking Cece walking toward me, a fluffy blue and white bathrobe covering her like a summer cloud. She saw me sitting on the ground, my knees pulled up to my chest and my face streaked with bruises from the weight of the few tears that had escaped my grasp. She sat beside me in silence for a few

moments, allowing me to adjust to her presence.

"You wanna talk about it?" I stayed silent, staring at the tree line ahead of me. "Ok then, I'll talk. Andrew and I have been friends for one, maybe two years now. He always had this fantasy, that someday, when this whole thing was over, he would find you again. He said he would tell you everything, where he was, what happened to him and most of all, how he felt. He said he would find you and everything would be ok, he'd take you away from your father and you could live out here, in the woods."