Werewolf Forest::Chapter 26

Hey everyone, I know its been a while. Sorry. I think this story will have about 33 chapters. Maybe one more maybe one less. So we’re getting close here. So anyway, enjoy!

* * *

The house was quiet; an ominous aura fell heavy about it, the foreboding of the coming battle silencing even the forest creatures. The glory of the meeting was over, the strength of the court all but words in the wind, and the mortality of the event was sinking deep into the hearts of the pack. Fear polluted the air, thick and putrid. We knew our chances; they were not in our favor. But still we would fight. There were only two people who said they wouldn’t; a young man and his pregnant mate. The man said he had to protect her and his unborn child, so they were to leave that morning. Connor understood, and even commended him for putting his family first. The man was torn; he wanted to protect the pack, but he couldn’t abandon his mate, and she was in no condition to fight. Connor was driving them to the airport that morning.

He stood in front of the large ornate mirror in the library, combing his hair back. He was wearing good pants and a collared shirt, vastly different from the cut-offs and ratty t-shirt uniform of the pack. He was meeting with the police after he dropped the couple off to tell them as much as he knew. That of course, was a lie. He knew exactly who killed his mother and those other women, but he couldn’t tell them. He was forced to say he didn’t know anything and watch them scramble around following false leads and making innocent suspects lives miserable. He hated the idea, but he had no choice.

“You’ll have to stay in the cell,” he said as he straightened his collar.

“I know. Good luck with the police.” I patted him on the back, trying my best to reassure him.

“Thank you. I just hate lying to them. I hate knowing that they’ll never catch the real killer.” He leaned on his desk, letting his head fall.

“They may not, but we will. And when we catch him we’ll carry out justice in a way the police never could.” He looked over at me, sadness in his eyes.

“I don’t think I can kill him.” He looked in the mirror, staring at his reflection. He studied his face as if it was a stranger. His eyes bore into the reflection, staring it down like an opponent, trying to read its intentions.

“Why not?” I asked.

“He’s my brother Maggie, I can’t just kill him.”

“We don’t have a choice, Connor. He won’t stop.” He didn’t reply, just stared at the mirror. “He killed you mother…” He flinched. I placed my hand on his shoulder. “I know what that feels like, and I would give anything to get revenge. Maybe when I’m done here, I will.”

He turned to me. “Revenge isn’t always the answer…” a knock at the door caused me to jump.

Elli poked her head through the door. “Connor, are you ready?”

He sighed. “As I’ll ever be.”

We followed Elli out of the library and down the stairs. The few people that were walking about the house gave Connor sympathetic nods, but never made eye contact for long. Connor simply jerked his head stiffly in acknowledgment. He never broke his blank countenance. Cece hobbled out of the infirmary, leaning on a walker for support. The nurse followed after her, telling her to lie down, but Cece ignored him as she came over to Connor. She gave him an odd kind of sympathetic look and put her hand on his shoulder. Neither of them said a word, they just nodded to each other before we continued walking and she finally went with the annoyed nurse. We came to the back of the house, where the couple waited in front of a large green jeep. They had their few bags packed into the back of the jeep and tied down with bungee cords. The man had his arms around the woman’s shoulders, as silent tears flowed from her eyes. One hand rested on her distended stomach, rubbing it lovingly. He took one hand off her shoulder and placed it over hers, entwining their fingers.