Werewolf Forest::Chapter 28

We were to leave the next morning. Everyone was silent as usual, friends with arms around each other, lovers with hands entwined. I was sitting with Kyle in the yard, Connor just a short distance away at a picnic table. Kyle bumped his shoulder against mine.

“I know something’s wrong Maggs,” By his look I knew I couldn’t lie my way out of this. “He told you didn’t he? Andrew, I mean.”

I shook my head in irritation. “Am I the only one that didn’t know about that?”

“Pretty much, yeah,” He said, nodding. “Look I know it’s not really your thing, but you should give him a chance.”

“I can’t, Ky. I just can’t.” I turned my head to the side, unable to look in his eyes.

“If you won’t give him a chance for a relationship, at least let him be your friend,” He put his hand under my jaw and turned my head to him. “Hey…I know this is difficult for you. But Andrew has done nothing but love you. And you are treating him unfairly.”

I shoved his hand away and stood up. “I’m sorry, Kyle, I just can’t handle it. He made his decision and I made mine. And we both have to live with that,” Out of the corner of my eye I saw Bailey disappear into the tree line. “I have to go.”

I ran to Connor and whispered in his ear. “I have to take care of something. It’s important. Cover for me please,” He nodded and I ran off after Bailey. Once I broke the tree line, she was nowhere to be seen. But I knew where she was heading.

I took my time, enjoying the walk through the woods, seeing as it might be my last, come tomorrow. I heard the yipping of the wolf pups through the bushes. I followed the noise to find the same rock cliff where I had first met Bailey. She was sitting on the ground with one pup’s head in her lap, petting his back softly. The other two were wrestling in the dirt. They were bigger than when I had seen them last. Their fluffy fur had become courser and it lay flatter against their skin.

“Bailey!” I called. She looked up to me and smiled. The pups ran to me and jumped on me, tackling me to the ground. They attacked my face with their tongues as I tried to fight them off.

I heard Bailey laughing from beyond the frenzy of fur and slobber. “I guess they remember you,” She said through fits of laughter. I finally escaped the pups as they began to fight amongst one another again.

“Yeah, I guess,” I said as I brushed the dirt and leaves off of my cloths.

“Come on,” she said, a playful smile on her face. “I want to show you this awesome field I found. It’s covered in wild flower s and–”

“Bailey,” I interrupted. “I need to talk to you.”

Her smile faded and she nodded. She sat on the edge of the rock, her legs dangling. I sat beside her. “Are you going to fight tomorrow?” I asked.

She took a deep breath before answering. “Yes.”

“I don’t think I can fight James alone. He’s too powerful. If I fight him alone, I will die.” She flinched. “I need you to fight with me, against James.”

She bit her lip and looked to the side. “I don’t know…I’m not that great of a fighter…”

“You are one of the most powerful beings on the earth. I’m not going to lie to you though, this will be dangerous. But I think together we can beat him. Please, I need your help,” I put my hand on her shoulder.

She looked unsure for a moment, but nodded. “Yeah. I’ll fight him with you.”

“Thank you,” I hugged her. She was stiff for a moment, but then hugged me back. “We’re going to get through this. Us and the pack.”