Werewolf Forest::Chapter 22

WARNING: Be prepared for some gore and possibly disturbing mental images. I have to tell you this chapter is a little dark and grotesque. And you might consider it kind of gross, and of course maybe you won't. Just read on and enjoy and hopefully I won't give anyone nightmares. Though, if you get nightmares from this, you might want to go back to watching Barney because this really isn't that bad, I just thought I should give you a little warning. Well, READ ON MY LOVELY DURGIES!!! And remember, if life gives you lemons, squirt Life in the eye and steal Life's wallet. =D

~Alex

* * * * * * * *

The fog was thick and heavy among the trees. It hung low around my knees, so that my bare feet were invisible under the misty white blanket. The sky was black and looming, starless, with only the glowing full moon to shed light in the darkness. I was alone in the haunting silence, not a cricket or owl to be heard.

I didn't know where I was going, or why, but despite that my feet continued to move slowly, one after the other. I couldn't feel my feet touch the hidden ground, or the plants brush against my ankles as I should have. The smells of the forest seemed to have seeped into the wood of the trees themselves and hid there, beneath the bark. I heard nothing; not the sound of my breathing or the sound of my feet below the fog, nothing, a deaf silence like cotton had been shoved in my ears. But no matter the feeling that my senses had deserted me, I didn't give a thought to it. My mind was blank, following the invisible path laid out for me. My movements were mechanical, my head straight, my arms swinging limp by my sides, my legs drifting easily through the fog.

"Maggie..." the whisper just brushed the barrier of sound, quiet even in the silence. I stopped in my tracks and turned my head to the side, looking among the towering trees for the speaker. Seeing nothing, I continued on my way.

"Pixie..." I heard the soft whisper and again I looked for the speaker. Again, no one was to be seen, so my feet picked up their pace once more. The path opened up into a circular clearing, also covered by the fog.

'Who's there?' No sound came out of my open mouth as I stood in the middle of the clearing, searching for any life among the trees.

"Maggs, over here..." A shadow moved through the trees into the clearing ahead of me. The fog swirled around its dark, up-right figure, turning it smoky and

white. It reached a hazy arm out toward me. "Maggie..." it sang.

"No, over here..." another shadow drifted its way into the clearing, but unlike the other one, kept its dark skin. "Come with me Pix..."

"I'll protect you..." their voices melded together to form one haunting tune.

My feet began to walk toward them and my arm reached to touch their outstretched hands. But before I could reach them, a large cloud burst out of the trees and plowed into the dark shadow, sending it tumbling to the ground. The cloud fell on top of it, consuming the shadows darkness in its white, smoky veil.

Everything began to happen in a blur. Certain things would happen so fast that it was near impossible to tell the difference from one speeding body to another, and some moved so slow that they seemed to not be moving at all. More shadows and clouds filled the clearing, ramming into one another with force that sent them flying. The fog began to fade, drifting away into the trees, and revealed people and wolves under the cloudy haze. The blurs of skin and fur began to move at a lightning pace, leaving trails of fogy light and color behind them, like a picture taken of something moving. People and wolves zipped past me as I stood frozen in the center. I could hear muffled yelling and screams of pain, but they were faint and seemed miles away.

The scene began to sharpen and I began to make out faces. Connor, Andrew, Davo, Elli, Cece, Bailey...they were all there, some fighting wolves and some fighting other humans. They were all bloody and showed the signs of battle, their clothes torn and covered in dirt and stained red with blood; some so tattered and matted with grime that they were falling off their bodies. They looked so different from the people I knew, so violent, so savage. An almost giddy look came to Cece's eyes as she broke the neck of her opponent, like she had enjoyed killing him, enjoyed the feeling of his fear as her arm wrapped around her neck, enjoyed it as his life lay in her hands for the taking and enjoyed the feeling of his life slipping away and the light fading from his eyes. It was almost scary to see her like this. She had always been so happy and optimistic, but now she looked like a killer, a cold, ruthless killer...just like the rest of the people that were filling the blood-soaked clearing with dead bodies.