Werewolf Forest::Chapter 33

Recap:

We crashed through the branches as we plummeted to the ground. I retracted my wings in the fray as the branches started to hit them. Splinters dug into my skin as I slammed against the rough bark. We plowed into the ground, me on top of him. He kicked me off, sending me flying into another wolf. Quickly, I shifted and sprinted to James once again. He was up and waiting for me. I stopped in front of him, growling and snarling. He smiled at me again, and shifted into a black bear, twice the size of a normal one.

A fear set in the pit of my stomach, wild and primal. His deep black eyes bore into me as he stared silently. He let out a cry of battle and rose up on his haunches, slashing his claws in the air. The hair on my neck stood straight and my ears laid flat against my head. I let out a growl, but it was lost in the drone of the battle. As he roared and slashed the air, a tiger plowed into him and brought him to the ground. The tangled mass of black and red fur tumbled across the field. They broke apart and stood facing each other, neck hair raised and teeth bared. Bailey’s tiger form was not that much bigger than a normal tiger, but instead of a light orange color, she was a bright, fiery red. Her black stripes flared across her back like the rays of the burning sun.

I ran to her side and we faced James together. I stretched my shield over both of us, the haze just slightly distorting the scene around us. James shifted back to his human form and stared at us, smiling like the Cheshire cat.

“Look at you two little girls! How sweet!” he laughed. “Well this should be fun…”

* * *

Chapter 33

Claws slashed and teeth mauled as Bailey and I stood against James. We quickly found out that my shield did nothing against his physical attacks. Our wound-ridden bodies showed that quite clearly. However, he couldn’t use his mental attacks. The look of confusion on his face lasted only a minute when he realized this before he attacked once more. We had barely gotten one hit on him; he was far too powerful.

He lashed at Bailey, his reddened claws digging deep into her shoulder. He flung her away like a paper doll and sent her crashing into a nearby tree.

“Bailey!” I cried out. She lay limp at the base of the tree. I dropped my shield and ran at James, arms outstretched. With one swipe of the paw, I was on the ground. I raised my hand and lifted him in the air. I could feel the weight on my arms as if they were holding him themselves. I struggled, my arms shaking under the weight. In a last moment of strength, I slammed him into the ground as hard as I possibly could. I fell to the ground, my energy exhausted. I watched as he got up off the ground and brushed the dirt off himself. He sauntered over to where I lay, broken and staining the grass red with my blood. He knelt down to my level and smiled.

“You stupid child, thinking you could kill me. You could have been my apprentice and ruled over these inferior mongrels at my side. But you chose to defy me. Too bad, really, such talent…” He brushed a piece of hair from my face. “…wasted”

In a quick movement, he grabbed onto me, shooting into the air. I struggled with what strength I had, but I might as well have laid still. I coughed, blood spurting from my mouth. “Look at it all Maggie,” He grabbed my chin and turned my head to the scene below. The figures below got smaller and smaller the higher we went. The mass of battling figures was thinning, many of them now lying still and lifeless on the ground. “They are like ants to us. Worthless. Watch as your friends die for the humans, who are mere germs compared to us. You can’t blame them for being inferior, they were born that way. But you…” he turned my face to his. His eyes were glowing almost red with hate and fury. He bared his teeth, fangs growing from his canines. “You choose to be one of them. That makes you worse.”