Promises

Louis P.O.V.

"Louis, this is insane!" Liam hissed for about the thousandth time.

I rolled my eyes at him, leaning back in my first class seat. We'd gotten last minute plane tickets to Ohio and were already about half way there.

"We didn't even tell management we were leaving!" Liam continued.

"Liam. Seriously, calm down. Our first concert isn't for a week. We have time off, and they never actually told us we couldn't leave the state.." I trailed off, knowing this was pretty irresponsible. But what else was I supposed to do? I had to get Lex, and that's exactly what we're doing.

"You're sure the phone tracker works?" Harry asked. I turned away from a frazzled Liam to face Hazza.

"Yup! I already checked to make sure she was in Ohio. iPhones are the best!" I exclaimed loudly, earning a few dirty looks, including one from Liam.

"If it makes you feel better, you can call management as soon as we land, Liam," I said. He seemed to relax a little bit, but was still fairly tense in his seat across the aisle from Haz and I.

------

We had rushed off the plane as soon as it touched down, practically running through the airport and out to a cab. The good thing about America was that we weren't as well known yet, so there weren't constant paps or fans following us everywhere. Plus, they'd never expect us to be in Ohio anyway.

Liam had called management the second we'd stepped off the plane. Luckily, it was Uncle Zach, so he'd been fairly understanding. He just said if we weren't back in time for the concert, he'd be serving our arses for dinner.

I checked my phone for the hundredth time, making sure I had the address right and told the cab driver. He sped off down the street.

The ride was silent, but I was practically bouncing in my seat with excitement. I was going to see Lex. The girl I loved.

A ridiculously long half an hour later, we pulled up in front of a house. Liam paid the driver while I raced towards the door. It was a pretty sketchy looking house, and hadn't she told us she'd gotten an apartment?

I banged on the door, literally bouncing up and down. Lex was in that house.

Alexis P.O.V.

I froze at the sound of banging on the door. Josh had told me to call him whenever someone was at the door. I quickly dialed his number.

"Yes, dollface?" he answered the phone.

"There's someone at the door," I said in a monotone voice.

"Hmm, go ahead and answer it," he replied before hanging up. He usually told me to answer it, but wanted to know anyway.

I slipped the phone into my pocket. I was wearing a dirty t-shirt and some ripped jeans. Along with my hair in a messy bun and bruises covering my entire body, I probably looked like hell. Oh well, whoever was at the door would have to deal with it.

I walked to the door just as some more banging began. I groaned to myself before flinging the door open.

Louis P.O.V.

"Sorry miss, but are you sure she's not here?" I practically begged, trying to peer around the lady into the house.

"Sorry son, but I don't know who this Lex is. Are you sure you have the right address?" she asked sweetly.

Liam grabbed the phone out of my hand, opening the tracker app. "It's like four houses down, you idiot!" he yelled.

My face turned bright red. "Um, sorry," I mumbled to the lady before we all turned and sprinted down the street.

"Good luck boys!" she called from her doorstep.

We sprinted down the street and finally found the house. After each boy triple checked the address, we agreed we finally had it right. I ran to the front door, banging on it.

Alexis P.O.V.

I shut the door on the salesman telling him we weren't interested. He had given me a wary look due to my appearance, but I'm sure he's used to it. Plus this is a bad neighborhood, so what did he expect?

I was walking into the kitchen to get a glass of water when there was more banging on the door. Why was the salesman back? I turned back to the door, deciding not to call Josh. It was just the salesman again, and I didn't want to make him mad by bothering him.

I walked back to the door and swung it open, prepared to ask the salesman to leave. Instead, I was shocked to complete silence at the sight in front of me.

Louis P.O.V.

I was shaking with anticipation. The door swiftly opened and revealed the one person I most wanted to see in the world. I was about to run at her and kiss her, but something had me frozen in my spot.

My huge grin fell off my face, replaced by one of confusion. She looked completely different. Her hair was a mess, her clothes were dirty and loose fitting. She looked like she'd lost a lot of weight. And not in a good way. I inspected her face closer. Her eyes looked sunken and dull. There was a light bruise across her cheek and a rather large cut running the entire length of her arm. Now that I looked, she seemed to be covered in marks. My eyes returned to her face which had fallen to one of shock mixed with guilt.

"Lex?" I croaked out, tears springing to my eyes.

"Hey guys," she said weakly, looking down at the ground.

"Josh?" Liam asked softly.

She finally looked up, her eyes looking across all the boys before finally landing on mine as she nodded slowly.

My eyes widened. How had we been so stupid? I finally rushed to meet her, pulling her into my arms, just as she seemed to collapse into them.

The other boys remained silent behind me as I held her, her body shaking with sobs.

"It's ok, love. We're here now. It's going to be okay. I'm so sorry, Lex. I'm so sorry," I whispered, chocking on the words as I started crying. I gently rubbed her back, trying to calm her down.

A few minutes later she pulled away, wiping her eyes.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered to all of us.

The other boys gave her small smiles. "I think we should probably go get a hotel room," Liam said slowly.

The boys all agreed and turned around to get a cab. I stayed back, waiting for Lex. She hadn't moved since Liam's suggestion. "Lex?" I asked.

"I can't leave," she whispered.

"We'll protect you. I promise, Lex," I told her softly. There was no way in hell I was leaving the girl I love here.

She shook her head. "He knows things, Louis. Things that would make you hate me."

A surge of curiosity rushed through me, but I pushed it away. Now was not the time to pry. "I could never hate you, Lex. Ever. I love you so much it tears me apart."

She seemed to study my face before closing the door to the house and slowly following me to where the boys had somehow gotten a cab.

We climbed in to the back of the van. I wrapped my arms around Lex, never wanting to let her go.

How had I left something so bad happen to the girl I love? I felt so guilty.

I couldn't change the past, but I could definitely control the future. I was never letting anything bad happen to Alexis again. I would make sure of it.