Chapter 27

ANDY’S POV

            The nurse led me away from the other, all the while keeping a solemn look on her face. At that moment millions of possibilities of things she could say ran through my head. Maybe it’s good news! Maybe she just needs to talk about payment or something. I tried to repeat that over and over again, until I believed it, but I couldn’t. In my situation it was impossible to believe in good possibilities when there were so many more bad ones. Every time I tried convincing myself of a good thought, it was pushed away by something horrible. Honestly, the horrible thoughts were the most believable. I could feel my palms begin to sweat, so I shoved them in the pockets of my jeans. Even crammed in the small pockets, I could still feel them shake nervously. Calm down Andy. “Mr. Biersack.” The nurse began, looking up at me sympathetically. No. Don’t look at me like that! You have no reason to, because Heather will be fine! “Has Heather been seeming sick at all to you lately?”

            I took a deep breath remembering the morning. “Yeah… I mean kind of. She had a cold this morning and yesterday, but nothing serious.”

            When her expression remained sympathetic, my anxiety grew. “ Do you know what may have caused her sudden illness?” She folded her hands together and slightly tilted her head to the side.

            “Umm… yeah actually.” I thought back to the day before. “When we were at the mall yesterday, she stormed out suddenly.” I began, leaving out why she left. It was our business and there was no reason to discuss it with the nurse. “When we finally found her, she was collapsed outside. I guess after being on her feet all day, it was hard for her to stay strong.” I rubbed the back of my neck and swallowed. I hadn’t even thought about what happened until then. Could that really have caused her to be sick?

            “I see.” The nurse remarked with a slightly uneasy tone to her voice. “ That was probably what caused her to become ill.”

            “But it was just a cold.” I panicked. “Why would a cold cause her to…” I stopped before I finished. I couldn’t bear to describe what had happened to Heather. I bit my lip and looked down. “To end up in the hospital.” I finished quietly.

            She took a deep breath and looked at me. I could tell that she didn’t want to tell me whatever she had to say. “Mr. Biersack, when people are in… your cousin’s position,” She began, avoiding the word cancer. “Their immune system is not as strong. Therefore they are more prone to get various diseases, and once they have them, it is much harder to rid themselves of the disease. Also, seeing as how your cousin is much sicker than most people in her condition, even small diseases can have extreme consequences.” She paused for a moment. “Sometimes even something as common as a cold can end up being lethal.” She slightly mumbled the last part, hoping I wouldn’t hear it.

            I nearly fell over, as the last few words left her mouth. In shock, my blue eyes widened. “Are you saying that… Heather is… dying?” I choked out the last words, fearing her response, Please tell me she’s not!

            She looked sadly at me and bit her lip nervously. “Nothing is certain.” She said soothingly.

            “That means yes doesn’t it?” I asked bluntly. “Just tell me.” I ordered, unable to hide my fear.

            “At the moment it is more likely than not that she will be gone before the morning. She’s too ill for us to do anything without further hurting her, and her immune system is too weak to heal her. I’m so sorry.” At that moment, the world froze around me. The nurse’s words echoed in my head, but no mater how many times I heard them repeat they just didn’t seem real.

            I crossed my arms and dropped my head, lost in thought. “This isn’t happening.” I whispered to myself, as a tear dropped onto my hand. My head shot up and looked the nurse in the eyes. “You have to do something! Please you have to help her!” I begged, dropping my arms.

            Lightly she shook her head. “I’m sorry there’s nothing more we can do.” She told me. “You and your friends can visit her now, if you would like.” I nodded, unable to speak and began walking back to the others. As I walked, I felt like I was going to be sick. My stomach was in knots and my head was pounding; yet I couldn’t rid myself of how socked and lightheaded I felt. It was, by far, the worst I’d ever felt. The worst part was that I knew that I was partially to blame. If I’d tried harder, I could have stopped her before she ran away from me. That thought alone was enough to make me want to collapse to the ground in tears. But I couldn’t. Not then. I had something more important to do. Something that I was dreading… I had to tell the others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I've writien in Andy's point of view a lot, but I promise Heather'll get a chapter soon :) I was thinking of having a chapter from Ashley's point of view soon as well. I hope you liked this chapter.

comment/ vote/ fan <3