Chapter 26

ANDY’S POV

            “Heather? Heather please look at me!” Ashley begged, lightly patting her cheek, to wake her up. Her closed eyes fluttered uncontrollably and her breathing was uneven. Ashley held her in his lap and put the back of his hand on her forehead. “She’s burning up. Andy call 911!” He ordered frantically. Too shocked to speak, I nodded and ran for the phone. I instantly dialed 911 and luckily an ambulance came quickly.

Two paramedics lifted Heather’s limp body onto a stretcher and carried it into the ambulance. I leapt in next to her and took her hand in mine. It was burning and sweating, but I wouldn’t let go. Heather what’s happening to you? As Ashley tried to get in, a paramedic stopped him. “Family only.” He told him strictly, grabbing the handle on the large door, as the other paramedic hooked Heather up to an oxygen tank, to steady her breathing.

“Please…” Ashley begged desperately. “I have to be with her.” The paramedic just shook his head and began to close the door. “Andy please!” He called, for my help. I could see the worry in his eyes, as he looked pleadingly at me.

I sighed and looked at the paramedic. “It’s alright.” I said to him. “He’s practically family and she needs him more than anything right now.” Reluctantly, the paramedic agreed and allowed Ashley in. The door closed behind him and we began speeding down the street. You’re going to be alright Heather. We’ll be at the hospital in no time.

“Thank you.” Ashley sighed at me, taking hold of Heather’s free hand. He brought it softly up to his lips and kissed it lovingly. I just nodded to him and returned my gaze to Heather. Beads of sweat were going down her face, which had a pink glow on her cheeks. She’d looked fine, when I went in her room only a few hours ago, yet there she was, unconscious in an ambulance. “Please be okay Heather.” Ashley whispered, squeezing her hand a bit tighter. He really did care for her. How could I have ever doubted him?

I couldn’t get any words out of my mouth the whole ride to the hospital. I knew that if I were to open my mouth, tears would fall, and I had to be strong for Heather. As soon as we got to the hospital, Heather was taken into another room, by a bunch of worried doctors. Unfortunately, no mater how much we tried to persuade them, they wouldn’t allow Ashley or I to see her. They sat us down in the waiting room and told us to wait.

As we sat the second felt like hours and each minute felt like an eternity. The only sounds breaking the excruciating silence were a couple feet walking by and the tick of the clock. I dropped my head in my hands and took a deep breath. “How did this happen?” Ashley mumbled as if lost in thought. Unable to respond, I just closed my teary eyes and shook my head. After about ten minutes, I forced myself out of my seat and took out my phone. “Where are you going?” Ashley asked warily.

I showed him my phone and put my other hand in my pocket. “I have to tell the others where we are. They’d want to be here for Heather.” Ashley gave me an approving nod, allowing me to step outside into the slightly brisk wind. I was only wearing jeans and a motley crue T-shirt, so I instantly began to freeze. It was odd; I’d always been able to stay warm, because of my hair. I took out my lighter and a cigarette, which warmed me up pretty fast. Blowing out some smoke, I closed my eyes and tried to relax. I couldn’t though. There was too much going on and too much panic and worry running around in my head. Everything was too fucked up to be calm.

Putting my lighter away, I grabbed my phone again. Before I clicked the call button I paused. After a moment, I clicked call and took a deep breath. “Hello?” Jake asked, on the other end of the phone.

“H-hi…” I managed to get out.

“Andy what’s wrong?” Jake asked warily, reading my like a book.