Chapter 18: Temperature Rising

“Urgh!” Vince strained to get in control. Violetta kept pulling and pulling with all her might. “Bealy.... Bealy...” Genny tried to reach up and touch my face. Her oceanic blue eyes look so faded and her neck behold two big hands marks on them; I couldn’t believe that it was her. A few tears fell from her right eye and at that moment, I started to mourn for her. I felt as though Genny was dying in my arms. Crash! I see Vince backing up into a wall with Violetta on his back, and at the sudden impact her back met with the hard concrete; she collapses. I braced myself for action because I knew some way or another I was next. It had to be a matter time. “I won’t let you hurt her. You’ve done enough damage.” I said aloud. Vince pushed over a couple tables to the side and briskly come up to me. Never back down. “You girls never learn when to mind your own business.”

He tries to throw a punch at me; I dodged it and hit him back. Euphoria then rushes into my systems to how happy I was that I finally got him. Vince staggered until he fell onto his feet and I felt like a winner. But when I wasn’t looking, Vince grabbed me from behind and slammed me on the floor. Pretty hard. It felt as though the wind was being knocked out of my chest. And seconds later, I couldn’t breathe; I started to gasp. “Shit!” ......  ......  ..... I managed to roll over and see Vince going over to Genny. No!! Attention, staff and students. As of now, we’re in a code red. I repeat, Brookhaven is in a code red. An armed intruder has made their way on campus. Make sure all doors are locked shut and keep yourselves from being in the halls. Thank you.

“What the fuck?” Vince started to look around the room skeptically. Then a few minutes later, there was a roaring sound that coming outside. And it was getting louder and louder. Along with that were lights, bright white ones that was going off and on like in those cops shows, when they’re chasing the bad guys. That's when I realize that the police are on their way. “You call the fucking cops on me?!” Vince yelled, almost startling me to death. “No. Maybe someone else did. They probably heard all the yet.” I lied. “Don’t you fucking lie to me man!” He then pulls out a gun from behind his back. Aw man!! My eyes grew wider in shock. “I’m telling the truth. Believe me-” “Shut the hell up! Shut up right now! All I wanted to do is talk to Genova.” I continue to stare off in fright; hoping and praying that he doesn’t do anything irrational. “But I guess she has to pay for your bad judgement. Isn’t that right Genova!?!” He looks over to Genny, waiting for an answer knowing that she's probably lying there unconscious. What a lonie! “C’mon Gen I know you hear me.” Still, no answer.

“Answer me! You stupid bitch!” Vince grew more infuriated, and in utter frustration he kicked Genny in her side, over and over again. She rolled around in pain and wince to the bare feeling. She can’t take no more; she's going to die. “Stop it!!!!!” I bolted towards him but at the very last moment, he averted away from her and boxed me in the face. “If you make another move, I’ll shoot her.” He pointed the gun towards her body; I just sat and watched in dismay. What to do? What to do? “We suppose to be together forever. I was planning to marry her one day. She just had to messed everything up.” His facial expression suddenly changed. I felt as though he was weeping to himself, although I didn’t see any tears. Vince's eyes never glistened. How did he become so delusional? I listened to his sob story in silence, and I almost felt sorry for him. However, I felt sorry for Genny more. “If I can’t have her, no one can.” He muttered coldly as he took off the safety. Dammit! I jumped in a quick haste to stop him. But just when I knocked him down, the gun went off. I’m too late. Everything was going in slow motion; my mind couldn’t comprehend what just happened.

“Haha!” Vince chuckled hysterically. I turned around to catch a glimpse of her face one last time. Her rosy pink laid lifeless on the floor, but what surprised me the most was Violetta. I could’ve swore she was unable to move after that mind blowing impact she received from Vince. Now she was kneeling on her knees, wincing in pain from the gunshot to the side. There was still a chance to save her, there was still a chance to save Genny. Thank God! “Are you okay?” I call out to her. “Yeah...(pant)......(pant). I’m good.” She flashed a grin and I smiled back. “Dammit. She's suppose to be dead.” Vince pushed me off abrasively and ran over to the side of the room to grab the gun. And moments later he was now threatening to slaughter all of us. I crawled next to Violetta and Genny; I refuse to go down. Never back down. Click! Click!

“Sir drop the weapon! You got up to the count of three!” Yes, they are finally here! “Don’t make me say it again, boy!” “I knew it. I knew you were lying! ” Vince snapped. The bright lights from outside beamed even more radiant; I knew from the sound there wasn’t much people out there. The head officer begun to the countdown. “Three!” A group of armed guards came busting through the doors, knocking down Vince to the ground in the process. It was a big blur really; I thought my heart stopped and I was dead. I blinked a couple of times; maybe that was the only way of snapping myself out of it. The first blink showed Vince on the ground, but by the last one he was nowhere in sight. “Is he gone for good?” I managed to say. Paramedics also came rushing in too, helping to put Violetta and Genny on gurneys and later taking them to the hospital. Violetta was losing so much blood from her gunshot wound and Genny was still unconscious. God, I hope they make it. They don’t deserve to go too soon. I walked out of the girls’ lounge in relief that this is finally over. “Bealy, you’re alive!” A person dashed towards me and hugged me. “I thought he got you.” I look up at the person's face. “Chace?” He never responded back, but only to hold me in his arms was his pleasure. Maybe I was wrong about him. Maybe he truly was different after all.