Chapter 17: Only Time Will Tell

“I can’t believe that monster is her boyfriend.” Violetta whispered as we walk through the halls. We were heading to the mess room and judging from the stormy weather we have here, I knew it was going to be a long day. “More like was.” I scoffed. “Do you believe what she said about that guy coming back is true?”  I thought about my answer for awhile, but the only thing I could come up with was “I don’t know.” Seriously, this whole situation with her and Vince still feels new to me. The best person I know to talk about this with is Ms. Capleton but I’m not sure if I’m ready to see her face yet. Especially after what happened several days prior. “I think we should tell someone, Bealy.” She stopped and looked at me. “No, no one else. Ms. Capleton already knows about this, and she's the only one that needs to know. I say we just let her handle it, besides she knows what's best for her.” Violetta shrugged her shoulders and we continued inside. For the remainder of the day, I felt restless. There was times when I saw Chace in the crowds of people when I’m in the halls, but for now I've decided to dodge him. With him being in my face and the Genny situation in my brain, I can’t really concentrate. My main priority is to make sure Genny is fine. And it's weird because now that I think about it, I’ve never been so protective of anyone else other than myself. I’m starting to think that Violetta was right about Genny and I's relationship. I really do look at her as though she's my sister.

School is getting just as demanding as all of this drama. We’re now wrapping up the month of November and the stupid teachers still tries to throw crap on us.  Mr. Jonstone continues to bug me all the time and Mr. Wilson still acts like a prick, but at least the female teachers on campus aren't so annoying. Although, out of all six courses I have excluding physical education and lunch, two of them are runned by women. Thank God, I finished that anger management course a couple of weeks ago. Now it's around 6 or 7 o'clock in the evening and being the easily bored person that I am, I decided to ditch my roomies and the ton of homework I have to do and go out for a walk. The stormy weather outside seems to be clearing up, so I might as well. Besides, it's been a while since I’ve got the chance to free my mind.

I abruptly left the room, without telling Violetta and Genny I’m leaving. To how desperate I was of getting out of there, I don’t think that I was going to be out long for them to question my whereabouts. I stroll throughout the campus, just looking around and taking in the fresh air. There were so much relief flowing throughout my bones right now, I feel like I’m on cloud nine. And after awhile of meandering around all over campus, I found myself taking a seat near the back of the library. “Aww, finally. Freedom at last.” Ring! Ring! I pulled out my phone quickly without thinking and answered it. “Hello.”

“B.B. It's me, darling.” I remained quiet, reluctantly to answer her. And don’t get me wrong I’m happy to hear mom call, but I can’t help to feel a little awkward about this. I mean, I’m finally having a real genuine conversation with my mother. “Hey mom. How are you?” “I’m fine. I went out to get some groceries and I finally came back.....” She pauses abruptly. “Hello. Are you still there?” “Yeah yeah. I’m just relieved that........ we finally had the chance to talk over things.” I smiled weakly, although I was trying not to. “Yeah, me too. Well......... I guess I talk to you later then.” “Okay dear. Goodbye.” I was about to hang up but then rushing back to the line to say: “Love you mom.” I looked up in anticipation just for the hell of it. “Love you too B.B.” Click! The night appear so endless, how the stars glistened from miles and miles away; I just got hung up by it. And that's when I realized that I haven’t yelled at my mom for calling me by my birth name. Wow, such quick adjustments. I then glance at the time on my phone and noticed that it was already, a quarter to nine. “Time sure go by fast. I better get going before the others begin to worry. “ Moments later, I picked myself up and brush myself off, proceeding back to the direction of the girls’ room before it gets too late.

__________

As for now, I’m a few yards away from the entrance and by the looks of things, I could tell that everybody had decided to hit the hay. There was news that we are gonna be doing regional exams in a couple of weeks. Everyone have been breaking their backs to do what they can to survive this obstacle, so I understand quite well about the sudden change in their personal curfews. “What are you out here so late?” stopped in my tracks and turned around to see who it was. But all I saw was the bleakness of the dark night sky. “Wow, I must be hearing things.” I whispered to myself. I scoped the place for a second time before continuing on to the dorm. “Bealy I know you hear me.” “Okay punk, show yourself.” I said, getting irritated. I waited for the person to come out and to my surprise, it was Chace. “You gotta to be freaking kidding me.” Why can't he get it through his thick head that I’m trying to avoid him and leave me the hell alone? I tried to get myself out of here quickly; I just can’t deal with him right now. “Wait, Bealy I really want to talk to you.” He dashes over to me in a haste. “Well, I don’t want to see you right now. So could you please go away?”

“C’mon Bealy. Don’t be like this........... Please!....... I’ll explain! I promise!”  Chace yelled from the tops of his lungs in desperation, as he watched me walk away from him briskly. I pretend to not hear his long cries from forgiveness. But from how things are going, I don’t think that will be enough to shut him up. And suddenly out of nowhere, I feel him trying to grab a hold of me; spinning me around and clenching onto my arms so I was focused to look into his despicable brown eyes. “Chace, if you know what's good for you, you would let of me.” “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier about Vanessa. I was afraid.” I frown in disgust. “Look I don’t want to hear it, Chace. You should’ve been willing to tell me; you had plenty of time. I shouldn’t have to find out about shit myself............. I won’t fall for the same tricks again, and I refuse to be associated with a person who slashed their girlfriend. Now let me go.” I remained glaring at him until Chace looks at me with sympathy and releases my hands. He knows better, although I detest him showing me his self pity. “It wasn’t my fault.” He spoke softly.

I averted away and left him in the darkness to wallow in his own mistakes. I knew letting him go was possibly the best thing for me to do now, and as I'm here thinking, my mind suddenly drifts to Kevin. I hate you. Why you did make me like this? “Back at you babe. ..... Because I love you and you love me. And nothing's going to change that.” “Stop lying to me.” I should’ve let myself be so vulnerable. “Ahhhh!” Crash! What the hell is going on? I’m almost near the dorm but the more I get closer, the more yelps gets louder. “Shut up bitch! And stop the damn crying!!! It drives me crazy when you try to act all innocent.” I watched as some guy with short hair, a medium build stature and raving temper yells at some girl in the lounge. I don’t remember seeing him anywhere around campus. “How you did get here?” I managed to hear the girl cry aloud. Bang! He erratically punches the girl in the face. I couldn’t see who she was at first until I noticed that a speck of pink hair bobbed up in the air slightly. I gasped. Oh no! “It wouldn’t matter anyway. Sooner or later, he will find me.”  No, no, no! I ran back in a hurry, hoping to God that I will find someone nearby. Unfortunately, Chace was the only one still outside. Well, he  will do for now. Besides, it's Genny's life that's on the line. He was sitting on a bench under the night lights. “Chace! Chace! Genny needs help! Her boyfriend is in the girls’ lounge literally beating the hell of her.”

“Wait a minute, what?” He stood up and look at me in a perplexed manner. “I’m fucking serious. Go call somebody! Now! She's being attacked and I don’t want anything worse to happen to her.” I started to cry, a little bit hysterically. Oh my God, I can’t believe this is happening. Dammit! “Okay, okay. Calm down. Breathe.” Chace placed his hand on my shoulder, comforting me. “I’m gonna go tell the Dean; you just go back there and try to keep her alive.” “Alright, hurry up.” I briskly bolted back. Man, I wish I had Violetta's number right now. Shit! “Get away from her!” I yelled as I bust through the doors. Vince was on top of Genny, trying to smother her. “Oh look Genova, your stupid bitch friend came to save you. Haha!” “She said, 'get away from her', you punk.” Violetta suddenly pops up and wrap a pair of headphones around his neck and pulled him backwards. Genny started gasped for air and in relief, I rushed to her side. I hope Chace gets to Dean Thompson in time. Oh please hurry!