Chapter 14: Fluctuate

“She's going through a tough time right now.” Wow, this is what she come here to tell me? I mean, she completely wasted my time. Like no shit sherlock, Genny is going through a rough time. She's in the fucking hospital, bruised up to the brim. Do you seriously think I haven’t got the picture yet? And then people gonna say I need to be nice. How can you be sweet when the people around you act so damn asinine? “I mean, I thought that idea was clear.” I said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes and walked back to the door. This lady really needs to get out of here. “Bealy. I mean it. The world around her is completely shattered. If I knew about this earlier, I would’ve let her take some special sessions with me.”

“It's not like she’s deranged or something. Is she?” Violetta said. Her voice soft, like a angel echoed into the room. “No, but she's heading there if she don’t start taking initiative of her life. Genova didn’t end up in the emergency room because of those bruises. She had an overdose.” Oh my God! No, that's not Genny. She wouldn’t do that. She's not that messed up. “Why would she do that? Genny was happy.” “Not so much in bliss as you thought. When you’re a victim of domestic violence, there’s always a need for an escape. It's just that sometimes, some people don’t know how to do, while still preserving that message.” I gasped and looked to Violetta. I knew where Ms. Capleton was leaning to, but I didn’t want to believe it. Why her? Why now? “Are you saying that there's a horrible person out there doing this to her?” My voice had a little screech sound to it. Violetta still had this shocked expression on her face. I don’t blame her; it's about time that her inner feelings are genuine. Maybe I was wrong about her from the beginning. She's really considerate, when she has to be. “Yes. That's why I’m here. Genova have been extremely reluctant and self-conscious about telling you both this. She's a very sensitive young lady, and I want you both just as much as she does to be fully aware.”

“I wouldn’t imagine. Someone so full of life-” “I knew something was going on with her. Ever since that night in the vestibule. Something in my mind was telling me that something was wrong; I just wanted to ignore the obvious.” Violetta spoke up loudly. At this moment, I was seated on the ground with my back across the front door. So much is going on around me, I don't think I will be able to handle this. I’m really going way beyond my limit here. “We have to confront her on this. We have to make sure that Genny knows that she can trust us. This charade can’t continue; it won’t.” Ms. Capleton then got up from her seat and comes over to calm me down, but I wasn’t going to allow it. “It's okay, you don't have to worry anymore. She's perfectly safe now.” She reaches out for one of my hands. “No! She's not! How can you be sure?” She didn’t utter another word. And instead, Ms. Capleton tries to come closer so she can give me a hug. “Don’t touch me!! I can handle myself, thank you................ Can you please go?” Ms. Capleton backed away calmly and gathered her stuff and left. I didn’t even make eye contact with her, I just wanted her out of my face. “Why you go do that for?” I went to over my bed and searched my sweater. It was quite chilly outside. “Didn’t you hear me?” “Yeah, I did.” I said boldly.

“So answer the damn question then?” Violetta got up from the bed and grabbed on my shoulder, forcibly. “Look, true we called it truths, doesn’t mean you can put your fucking hands on me again. I don’t have to explain myself to anyone around here okay. So if I’m pissed, let me be pissed. Don’t try to justify anything.” I grabbed my keys off from my dresser and left the room as well. “I’m not. I’m just........... worried about you.”  “Well don’t.”

_________________ 

I found myself going back to the hangout that Chace brought me to a couple of days ago. I have to admit, this is the best spot I’ve been ever. Just seeing the nature out there, really did calmed me down. Finding out that Genny is getting beaten up by some goon almost throw me off the edge. It's been two weeks since she's been hospitalized, and Brookhaven started to become a open season for confessions. I heard so much secrets and rumors; it made me question the real reason why I’m here. My mom once said that her main objective was to put some sense in my head; that I needed to start getting serious about my future. Every kid here, no matter how dull and annoying they are, they have a fuel that keeps them from falling. I don’t even know what I want for myself, let alone set my focus for the future. At the end of the day, there will always be obstacles on your way to the end of the tunnel, regardless of how much light there is.