Chapter 3

The courtroom, as the Reaper had seen many times before, was a smash between dark and light hues, symbolizing the colors of Hell and Heaven.

The Queen of Hell sat upon a red throne, while the King of Heaven sat upon a golden one.

Today, the judge would be the Grim Reaper himself.

Just great. He hated these trials. They just made him feel bad and pity the victims.
As the Queen and King gave their signal to begin, the albino sighed in defeat.

His lips parted as he spoke the first words.

"I, Nagito Komaeda, the Grim Reaper, faithful servant to the King and Queen of the Afterlife, swear to tell the truth."

He turned to look at the Queen of Hell.

"Will you, Junko Enoshima, Queen of the Underworld, give your most truthful judgment that will be cast upon the victim?"

She looked at her nails in boredom.

"Yeah, yeah."

The albino turned to the King of Heaven.

The King had brown hair and green eyes. He was wearing golden white armor, with his wings suspended in the air next to his shoulder blades like blades of gold.

"Will you, Makoto Naegi, King of Heaven, give your most truthful judgment that will be cast upon this victim?"

"I do."

"Then we will begin to see where this man will go in his Afterlife. This soul is called Hajime Hinata. He was the infamous mafia leader of the largest organization in Japan. He has killed approximately a thousand people. He became a drug dealer at age thirteen and rose to the top at age fifteen. However, he does have one close friend that he really cares about, and would do anything to protect her."

Junko yawned.

"He should go to hell. He killed a thousand people. Isn't he one tainted soul?" She asked Makoto, who was in deep thought.

Nagito glanced over his shoulder at the brunet, trying to read his expression.

It was blank. There were no emotions. But to be honest, Nagito wished that Hajime would Purgatory. It was the best place for him. Neither paradise nor Hell.

However, the albino knew better. Judging from the brunet's crimes, his actions were two to one. Two for sins and one for innocence.

"Hmmmm. I'm not so sure..." Makoto mumbled.

"Well hurry up. I have things to do too you know." Junko sniffed.

Makoto's eyes filled with sympathy, and he nodded his head at Nagito.

The Death Reaper understood immediately.

"My Majesties, place your vote down. Purgatory, Hell, or Heaven?"

The red buzzers buzzed to life as the Queen and King cast their final judgment.

DING! DING!

The screen flickered to life and projected one word.

Hell.

~

"PUNISHMENT TIME!!" Junko laughed gleefully.

Punishment time was the consequence that the victim had to live with for the rest of his life.

The brunet lifted a brow, more amused at this than terrified.

He was a weird one.

"We should just kill him," Junko suggested.

"No... That's just cruel."

The Queen of Hell sighed.

"You're going too soft these days. That girlfriend of yours is really influencing your thoughts."

"She's not my girlfriend!"

Junko waved her hand lazily.

"What if we let him work with Nagito as an apprentice?"

Say what?

"Well... My poor Reaper is really lonely. And I did see him fawning over the brunet. I agree then."

He did not fawn.

"Also, he didn't think twice about death, so working with Nagito may be a great punishment since he then has to see death every single day. From the innocent and the guilty both," Makoto said.

"Hajime Hinata. Your punishment is to work five years alongside Nagito Komaeda, the Grim Reaper of the Afterlife. After five years, your soul will be cleansed, and so then will you be able to ascend to Heaven to be reincarnated." Makoto had placed his judgment.

Hajime 'tsk'ed.

"Screw Hell and Heaven. Why am I even here? You guys obviously are fake," he spat.

Within milliseconds, the tip of Nagito's scythe met the brunet's neck. It didn't really matter now. Hajime was dead, and even though Nagito somewhat cared about him, it broke when the brunet talked trash about his superiors.

"That will be enough Komaeda," Makoto said calmly.

"Case adjourned. Junko, I'll leave this soul in your hands." Makoto vanished in a burst of light.

Junko sighed.

With a snap of her fingers, the albino, blonde, and brunet were enveloped in a cloud of shadows, bringing them back to Hell.

"Nagito, he's yours now. Do whatever you wish. I honestly don't care." Junko disappeared to wherever she desired.

"Hajime. You'll have to come with me." Nagito beckoned.

"Hell no. I'm not coming with scum like you," he growled in exasperation.

"First of all, thank you for calling me scum. Second of all, you'll have to come whether you like it or not. You're going to be my apprentice for five whole years, so you will have to obey me anyway."

Hajime attempted to escape when Nagito was still speaking, but his neck met the round edge of a blade.

"Ah, ah. Where do you think you're going?" Nagito had swung his enormous scythe behind him, the curve of the blade at Hajime's neck.

"Come on, we don't have much time." He walked away with the weapon still at Hajime's neck, dragging the brunet along with the albino.

"The Afterlife is such a pain," Hajime mumbled.

Nagito only laughed.

Being a Grim Reaper was fun.

_____________________________________________

Just to make things clear, Makoto is not married to Junko. They rule two separate realms.

Also, Nagito is in his beta form.

This is Makoto's clothing.