Chapter 25

I feel so dead and like I'm forgetting smt (probably my soul). And no, it's not my sleep cycle (I think).

So before I start writing this chapter I'm just gonna say: Pls support this one-shot I wrote for Tokens of Love. I'm low-key proud of it tbh and I wanna know what your opinions on it are!

Here's the link:

https://www.wattpad.com/732797332-tokens-of-love-a-crown-of-flowers

Thank you for the support uwu.

Here are some hearts ---> ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
_____________________________________________

"Komae-"

Nagito shut the door on Hajime before he could finish his sentence.

When the Queen had grabbed his hoodie and yanked him over to her side as Hajime entered the throne room, Nagito knew that she would warn him of his actions yet again.

"Be strict with him," she had said, her voice low and threatening. "I won't tolerate any slackers or any sympathizers in Hell. I'll be watching."

He hated to have taken Hajime's wrist in such a crude manner, but Her Majesty was watching, and Nagito had to act as if he was being obedient.

He had dropped Hajime off in his bed, making an empty promise that he would return later tonight. It benefited both of them when he had done this. Nagito could take over Hajime's work and pretend that the mafia lord had done the jobs assigned by Her Majesty.

For the first time since he'd been a Grim Reaper, the albino hated his job.

He hated that this earthquake happened so suddenly that even he couldn't have predicted it. More than three hundred lives had been lost, and he had to carry the weight of reaping them all.

He hated the fact that his lanky arms faltered slightly as he held up Hajime, and even worse, the brunet had noticed it. His expression showed genuine concern, and Nagito felt a pang of guilt for lying to him.

The Grim Reaper sighed and took off his glasses, rubbing his eyes wearily. His arms were tired and his head was heavy, his eyelids threatening to close on him. After all, he hadn't slept since last night.

The earthquake had struck right after the gala, throwing he Afterlife into havoc and calamity.

"Nagito!" A voice yelled through the halls. Mikan was running toward him, a stack of papers in her arms.

"What is it?"

"Her Majesty w-wants you in the courtroom now. She s-says that a t-troubling case has surfaced and she also n-needs some help with the documents."

Mikan dumped the pile of papers into Nagito's weak arms.

"I-if you'll excuse me." She hurried off, tripping over herself multiple times as she disappeared into the hallway.

He glanced down at the papers, filled with faces of the dead and their profiles. They had to be filed into the archive, much to his dismay.

Smothering a yawn, the messenger of death scurried to the courtroom with the stack of paper still in his hands.

Upon entry, he could hear angry voices coming from the middle of the room, along with Her and His Majesty's worn out voices.

"-YOU CAN'T JUST SENTENCE US TO HELL!" A girl in her mid-teens shouted, her arms folded across her chest.

She was wearing a blue dress that flowed to her ankles, accompanied by a pink jacket and green glasses. Her hair was a chocolate brown with streaks of pink highlighting it.

"That's right!" Her friend agreed. "You can't tell us what to do."

Opposite of her friend, the girl was a tad bit younger and had a collared white shirt along with a pair of denim jeans. Her brown hair was neatly combed, split into two parts through the middle of her scalp.

"Miss Jane, Miss Brandy," Makoto warned, his hands clutching the sides of his throne in irritation. "I would like to ask you to be quiet."

Jane, the one with pink streaks of hair, clicked her tongue.

Brandy's mouth opened, as if retort that statement, but Nagito beat her to it.

"Is there a problem, ladies?" He asked calmly, walking closer to them.

"The problem is that I want to punch her in the face," Jane replied, glaring daggers into Junko's soul.

"As the Grim Reaper, I cannot allow you to do such a thing." He stood in front of the Queen protectively, blocking her from traveling any closer.

"Pathetic," Junko stated, taking a sip of her coffee next to her. "Pathetic mortals who don't believe that they're actually dead. Just accept your fate already."

Jane and Brandy shared a quick glance at each other, and before Nagito knew it, the two friends had barrel past his defensive stance.

Jane punched the Queen in the stomach while Brandy punched her on the cheek.

Nagito harshly pulled them apart as they smiled smugly, having attacked the superior nobility.

They actually had the audacity to do such a thing to the noble leader of Hell.

"Don't you dare tell me she didn't freaking deserve it." Brandy narrowed her eyes, her mouth drawn into a tight line.

"Her attitude was like a dumpster and she dresses up like a Barbie toy," Jane added on, struggling to get out of the tight hand handed grip Nagito used to keep them back.

The albino resisted the urge to kill them having harmed his superior, but it was against the laws of the Afterlife to inflict pain on souls who have yet been assigned a sentence.

He bit his lip and turned back to the two thrones at the front of the room.

Several servants were already at the Queen's side, tending to her wounds. The King was deeply troubled, debating whether to put the girls in Hell or Purgatory.

The Grim Reaper held their wrists tighter as they continuously struggled, his eyes glued to the King's face.

"Purgatory." He finally said.

Due to limited time, Nagito couldn't take Junko's choice into consideration, so he decided that one decision was enough.

Sweeping the trouble-making girls into his scythe, he flew to Purgatory in record time, the papers a neat pile in his hand. The gray atmosphere made the white-haired boy much sleepier than he was, and exhaustion gripped his body.

He nearly collapsed on the floor when he dropped off the souls to a young girl with bright green hair. She was in a wheelchair and had several of her friends flanking her. Funny enough, she was much younger than him and was superior.

"Thank you, Servant." She said once he'd presented the souls. "You're dismissed."

The Grim Reaper bowed as left Purgatory.

The Grandfather clock chimed nine, and Nagito cursed colorfully. He still had eight more tasks to complete, and there wasn't enough time for him to return to his room to clean up.

Clutching the papers to his chest, the Grim Reaper sprinted down the West Wing, practically flying through the numerous amounts of servants and the wailing of souls.

He leaped out one of the windows and into the sky, bracing himself to see the destruction above once again.