Chapter 28

IM

FREAKING

DONE

WITH

STATE

TESTING

YEEEEEEEEET

Mom: Just because you finished doesn't mean that you did well.

Me: Mom... why must you always do this to me T_T
_____________________________________________

Nagito and Hajime flew to a crumbling building in the urban parts of Japan, landing on the rooftop.

The air was thick with smoke, the smell of burnt rubber lingering in the skies.

Evidently, something terrible had occurred.

"Who is it this time?" Hajime sighed, his posture slouched.

"I think two people again this time."

"Then I hope that their last request isn't for chicken nuggets," Hajime chuckled, recalling the events of his first harvest.

Nagito cracked a smile, glad to see that Hajime was being himself again.

"What time is it anyway?" Hajime asked, taking a seat on the concrete rooftop.

"Seven-thirty."

"When are the deaths?"

"At approximately eight o'clock P.M."

"Half an hour to go..."

An uncomfortable silence replaced the discussion, and soon Nagito found himself thinking back at Hajime's caring side of his personality.

Before he could wander off to when Hajime almost kissed him, the mafia lord spoke up, breaking the thin veil of silence.

"So, what did I do when I was drunk?"

"Drunk?"

"After the gala."

"Uhm..."

The Grim Reaper rubbed the back of his neck, avoiding eye contact with Hajime.

"What did I do?" Hajime asked again, staring at Nagito.

"Well... nothing really. Yeah. Nothing happened." He cleared his throat, wishing that the brunet would change the subject.

Thankfully, he did.

"Did you get enough sleep then?"

Nagito hummed, his hands itching to put on his hoodie so he can vanish in the darkness. Someone actually caring about him made a foreign feeling reside in his chest.

"So... about yesterday."

Nagito froze, his body turning hot.

Frick. Please, anything but this-

Hajime coughed, clearing his throat.

"Do you always overwork yourself like this?" Concern leaked from his voice, and Nagito felt the tips of his ears grow hotter by the second.

"No. Not unless Her Majesty makes me. I don't really mind."

Hajime whipped his head toward Nagito, his brows creasing.

"You don't mind? Goddammit, Komaeda. You nearly fell flat on your face and almost passed out because of sleep deprivation and hunger. And you have the guts to say you're okay?"

"I'm fine. It doesn't really matter. I got enough sleep..." As if he'd jinxed it, a yawn slipped from his mouth before he could smother it.

"Komaeda..."