Chapter 4

The silver blade prodded Hajime along the corridors of the castle in Hell, making him follow Nagito.

"You can sleep in the futon on the ground." Nagito threw his jacket on the ground of his room, exposing the white shirt underneath.

"I just want to die."

"Dying again when you're dead just erases your existence from this world. You won't even be able to go through reincarnation."

Hajime sat down against a wall.

Nagito busied himself by cleaning his scythe.

"So." Hajime broke the tension. "What should I call you?"

"Komaeda."

"Why not your first name?"

"Only my superiors can call me by that name."

Silence.

"What do you do as the Grim Reaper?"

"There is more than one Grim Reaper, you know that right?"

That took Hajime off guard.

"What?"

"There's a whole bunch of them around the world, working for different royals who rule a different realm of Hell and Heaven. I'm the Grim Reaper for Japan."

"Then what do you do?"

Nagito waved his scythe in front of Hajime.

"You see this weapon? I take the souls of the dead and store them in here to deliver them to either Hell, Heaven, or Purgatory. I usually choose where they will go, but some people are complicated like you, so they have to go through a trial." Nagito explained.

"How many people die each day?"

"Five or more."

"How do you travel around so fast then?"

"You sure do ask a lot of questions." Nagito sighed. "I have my ways."

"Well, I have to clean up some souls that I picked up today. Her Majesty doesn't have time to deal with them, so I'll have to be the one to do that. Are you coming?"

Hajime realized that he was still slumped against the wall.

"I don't want to."

"Suit yourself. Souls of the dead usually come into the room when I'm not around. My presence is the thing that drives them away." The albino shut the door behind him.

I hate him.

Hajime lay on his futon for a few minutes, before rolling over to find a more comfortable position.

He closed his eyes and wished that everything would go back to normal when he woke up.

~

Something was scratching at the door. Hajime shot up in his futon, his mind still groggy with sleep.

"Komaeda?" He asked.

The scratching intensified. It was as if someone or something was trying to get into the room.

"Suit yourself. Souls of the dead usually come into the room when I'm not around. My presence is the thing that drives them away." Nagito had said to the brunet as a warning.

So it was a soul huh. It can't hurt him, right? It was dead, and therefore it had no ability to physically touch him.

But just to be sure, Hajime took a chair from a nearby table to use it as a weapon to defend himself from the tainted soul.