Part 16 - The End

Brendon's POV

We continued on our path, maybe 10 minutes away from the airport, when something unusual had caught my eye.

4kj56h. 09:58

"start running," I mumbled it to Anniese, and she looked up at me, worried. We picked up our pace, moving quickly as the car followed slowly behind. When I took a turn into an alley with no road, Anniese got upset.

"We're gonna be there a lot later now!" I ignored her and kept moving.

9:23

"Anniese, I'm going to carry you," she was pissed now, but a coat of blush still coated her face.

"You're gonna what? Brendon, we're fine,"

"Ryan," I whisper-yelled it. I didn't know where he was but I could hear things moving behind us, and I didn't want to risk anything. I grabbed her by the legs and waist then lifted her up into my arms, sprinting onto the emergency path connected to the breaking building whilst my tape came loose. I felt it unravel, knowing there was little I could do about it. The metal was wet, but I had alright shoes, so when I reached the end I took a leap of hope and landed on the ground, Anniese in my arms. I took multiple sharp turns before reaching the road, Ryan's car waiting.

7:49

I turned around, sprinting past small apartments as the sun grasped at the edge of the earth, ready to light everything up. Anniese was anxious, shaking in my embrace, knowing that the car I was sprinting away from was being driven by that monster. To calm her down, I started humming something new, she pressed her head against my side, feeling the vibration of the tune against her cold anxious body. I started thinking of lyrics as I sprinted down the paths, faster as we passed open spaces between the buildings. The airport was closer and closer, and Ryan's car was seen a lot less. We reached one more road, a straight part of the highway heading towards the airport. It was lined with tourist attractions, from food to hotels, it was down this road, desperate for new people. I moved faster now, being in the open, and took a risky opportunity. I ran behind one of the fast food places, sprinting past trash cans before I stopped running when we reached a hotel.

4:52

Anniese stepped down from my arms. We were both out of breath, Anniese from anxiety and me from sprinting my heart away. I feel like me from 6th grade would be proud of that, the way I was able to run further than he could. Halfway around the track, before passing out. I was starving then, I had self-control. When they told me if I did that I wouldn't be able to do sports, I started eating as much as I could. I don't do sports anymore, but if I could, I would curse my past self for changing what would be his weight loss.  Anniese adjusted her hair and I wiped sweat from my forehead. We sat down behind the trash can filled with rich people's junk and looked at the sky changing from yellow to orange, a rainbow plastered on the sky above us. I laced my fingers through hers and closed my eyes as the tune came back to mind. The lyrics made sense, so I went for it.

It was always you falling for me now there's always time calling for me I'm the light blinking at the end of the road blink back to let me know...

There was a moment of peace, Anniese put her head on my shoulder and I smiled, my body finally letting me breathe. The sound of a familiar motor rang through my ears like a school bell, ending our break. Ryan. I pulled Anniese up and grabbed her hand, sprinting as she tried her hardest to keep up with my quickening pace. The airport was in sight, and so was Ryan. Anniese was trying not to cry, so I lifted her into my arms again. It's hard to run and cry. I tried it before all this happened, and it landed me in the looney bin.

2:30

With Anniese in my hands, I felt the heavy weight on me, exhaustion overwhelming me. The binge wasn't enough to hold me off, but I wasn't going down without a fight. I flicked my hair out of the way of my eyes, sprinting at my highest speed, the stuff none of the other kids in track could've done, not even the prestigious private schools we played against. Ryan was on feet now, quickly catching up. I felt myself get dizzy as we approached the parking lot of the airport. My legs gave out and I fell into the heavy snow, a cold, quiet body. The dark was warm though, a place I wished I could bring Anniese, so safe and cozy. 

0:25. 

End.