Part 12

Anniese's POV

We walked into the laundry mat, a light layer of white snow rested on our heads. Brendon had the terrible idea to steal someone's clothes, but I spotted a lost and found and dragged him there instead. A wide array of clothes lay in front of us, so we quickly picked up whatever fit the criteria of; 1.) not stained 2.) smells clean 3.) is warm and has no tears. I managed to find some sweatpants and a navy blue sweatshirt, changing quickly in the bathroom and tossing the scrubs in the trashcan by the door. I walked out, Brendon wearing a T-shirt and some black skinny jeans, a large black coat wrapped around his small frame. I smiled at the boy, his hair slightly messy by the wind and snow outside. 

We sat at a table with each other, taking a moment to get some of the warm air and recognize what we had done, run away from the mental hospital that inside contained some of the worst help you may ever find. Brendon slipped his hand into mine, and I rested my head against his shoulder, heavy breaths from everything we had managed in the past hour or so. I took a wild guess that someone was probably searching for us, and it wasn't going to be all sunshine and white snow from here. 

"I'm so sorry for everything I did," he mumbled, and I looked up at him, his eyes gleaming and ready to cry.

"It's okay now, we got out of there and we're going to be safe," I scooted over so the rest of myself was rested on him, and he undid his hand to wrap an arm around me. In that moment I felt safer than at any moment with my family. Safer than at any moment with my friends. Safer than if I popped in earbuds and listened to music while hiding below the covers. A genuine love came from that man, a genuine sense of care and security, holding me to keep me protected and safe. I truly loved this man. "I love you," I whispered, closing my eyes.

"I love you too," I had never heard those words be spoken so truthfully, so perfectly intertwined with the genuine love that I had been deprived of all my life. I wanted so badly to remain in his arms for the rest of my life, but when I saw Ryan standing in the parking lot, I knew we had to start moving. 

"Brendon,"

"Hmm?"

"Ryan. Standing outside," he looked up from me and widened his eyes at the sight. we quickly stood from the booth, rushing to the opposite entrance furthest from him. 

How did he know where we were?

We rushed out, the cold air frightening us and sending goosebumps along our bodies, and started pacing down the sidewalks. The cool air brushed against our faces as we watched a city come into sight. 

"Brendon, do you have that map?"

"Yeah, hang on," he shuffled his hands around the pockets of the coat, searching desperately for the drawing Coral had made, but with no luck.

"I must've left it at the laundry mat," he pursed his lips and rubbed his hands, covering his face with his heated palms. I looked at his bright red cheeks, they looked practically frozen from the air. 

Brendon's POV

the city was approaching quickly, so I slowed my pace and held Anniese's hand as if to signal her to slow down as well. I watched more cars pile in, racing both directions whether it be to or from work, or for an afternoon activity. The sun shone like it would heat us, yet it served no purpose other than a light to help us see the white snow covering us and our surroundings. Anniese's grip would tighten whenever a car similar to that of Ryan's would drive past, so I was trying to make sure she felt safe. 

"We can stop at my friend's house, he lives around here and we can steal some spare change," She smiled and her grip was a lot more calm, ignoring the multiple flaws in that idea. I had only a general idea of where he lived, and he thought I was in the luney bin until told otherwise. Plus how was I supposed to convince him into paying us? I let my mind wander as we approached the city, people beginning to walk by us. The city wasn't an unfamiliar sight, homeless men walking the sidewalks past others, families enjoying a lunch at a restaurant, and if you looked close enough, people buying whatever drugs made their lives more interesting. I looked at the smaller kids, amazed by their breath in front of them, their parents smiling and rolling their eyes. It was sad to think of the different sight behind closed doors and after midnight, the sort of secrets and sadness people bury along with their fears, and to think that if you actually did or said something you would only be criticized or sent to a mental hospital. How sick and twisted of us all. 

"Brendon," Anniese was hesitant, worried. 

"What's wrong?" I squeezed her hand tight when I saw what she was looking at. Ryan walking right towards us. We ducked inside of the dairy queen next to us, rushing into the unisex bathroom and locking the door behind us. Anniese sat on the ground, starting to pick up her breathing pace and shaking. 

"It's okay, we're getting closer to his house every minute of the day, we'll make it," she half smiled.

"It's so cold outside, and the snow melting in my hair doesn't help at all," she wrapped her arms around her body, shivering. I sat next to her, wrapping an arm around and warming her up. I could sit here for days, holding Anniese, staring into the wall and letting our thoughts dance, but a sharp knock at the door sent us straight up.