Part 15

The car sat in the wet rain as I ran, shaking my hair out of the way. I watched it begin to start again, rushing past me this time as they entered the highway. I screamed at the sky and slowed my running pace, tired. The sky was starting to get darker as the sun reached the ocean, so I walked back into a familiar building, the laundry mat, sitting on the bench and grasping at my torn knee. I felt the texture of where the ground carved into it twice. My jeans were open where I had fallen, blood dripping onto my black jeans. I felt my heart pumping against my chest, trying desperately to adjust to the sudden stop. I had probably been sprinting or at least jogging for a good ten minutes, but it felt a lot more like an hour had passed. My stomach hurt with insane hunger that I quickly pushed away when someone walked up to me.

"We have a bathroom, you look like you need a fixer-upper," how kind. I stumbled into the small room, locking the door behind me. I splashed water on the wound, flinching at my sensitive skin. I washed my knee, repeating a set of letters and numbers in my head.

'4kj56h'

It was his license plate number. The path he was taking was no ordinary path, it was a path right to my hometown. Did he live there? I covered my knee in toilet paper and stole a roll of tape from the store part of the laundry mat, my knee covered in pink tape. Cute. I bent it a couple times and started a slow walk in the dark. I moved quickly past the street lights so I wouldn't be seen. Rain fell lightly onto my collarbones, dripping down my chest despite wearing so many layers. I was cold and hungry. Very hungry. So hungry that when I passed a 24-hour  pub I couldn't help but step inside. The walls were lined with orange mood lights, a nervous scent of kitchen grease and chicken filled my nose as I was seated, alone. There were maybe two or three lonely families and quiet parties of one, but other than that, the place was rather quiet. I ended up ordering more than my weight in chicken and deserts, engulfing the dinner faster than the waiter had set it down. When I started finishing, I watched the waiter come back, setting a bill down in front of me. I looked at the thin paper, moving my eyes to my total. I had 5 dollars in my pocket and I needed to give them 20. Scanning the area I saw people were mostly back in the kitchen, so I stuffed my 5 into the booklet and stood, pacing towards the door, when I saw someone familiar at another table. Anniese, Alone. Ryan had to be in the bathroom, he wouldn't let his sight go of her. I walked over to the girl, staring down at the table with her hair covering her face.

"Anniese?" she looked up, a bruise covering her eye and blood stains around her lip. Her collarbone was laced with scratches and marks that went lower than the neck of her shirt. I was infuriated at the thought of how they found their way onto her perfect priceless body, nonetheless, I was relieved to know she was alive. She sprinted up from the table and grasped me tightly, and I hugged back, resting my chin on her head.

Anniese's POV

I was so happy to see him, after everything. I wanted to sit down and say everything, the things Ryan did to me and how he had repeatedly told me Bren was lying to me, the abuse and sex and things I regret allowing. How powerless I felt in his control and how I wanted to kill myself when he left to the bathroom, but I knew Ryan had been in the bathroom for a fair amount of time, and we had to get out. 

"We have to leave," my voice was raspy, practically a whisper from yelling and screaming. To think he could do so much in a few hours alone in a  rest stop's bathroom, I was broken down and made nothing more than a slave to him, but Brendon was here, it was over. I grabbed his hand with what strength I had, sprinting out of the restaurant. He was limp-running, pink tape around his knee. I avoided snarky comments and continued along the sidewalk, the path I remembered from the city. When Ryan had dragged me into his car, he was grasping at my thighs and driving over the limit, we went into the city, passing a lot of irrelevant places, besides one. I saw behind some of the restaurants was an airport. It was one of the wildest ideas I had had, to find a way onto a plane and run away with Brendon. Get away from our toxic homes where when faced with an issue we're sent to a mental institution for crazy people. I want to show him we're not crazy, make a new life for us. And if that means we have to find ourselves onto a plane towards LA, maybe Nevada, then so fucking be it.

"Where are we going?"

"I don't know yet, do you like LA or Nevada better?" Brendon smiled, but quickly pursed his lips. 

"What about an airport," he said between heavy breaths.

"Behind there," I pointed at the place that was coated in the moon's light, a moon quickly falling behind it. We were maybe twenty minutes away from freedom. How exactly we would get onto the plane didn't matter. I was with Brendon and he was my happiness, and I want to show him something better than this worn out hellhole that we had once called home.