Part 5

Anniese's POV

I watched the other kids, Matt shooting hoops with the staff, Coral and Crystal playing Volleyball, the other staff sitting at the table keeping an eye on everybody, and then moved my eyes to Brendon. The afternoon sun rested on his face as he furrowed his brows. His stray strand of hair remaining from the morning. He had his back against the seat, his legs spread as he began staring at the sky, thinking of whatever might've been going through his head. I rubbed my arm, the texture of my scars stopping my racing thoughts and giving me a chance to focus on my breathing. Brendon obviously wasn't taking a breather, the words I spoke earlier probably rummaging around in there, trying to grasp on to what I meant. I let go of the thought, bottling it for later, and began pushing the swing again. As we drifted back and forth, Brendon half smiled, making me blush.

"You're a child," He joked as I giggled back. I fall for anyone who actually cares about me, but this was so much far from that. He wasn't just caring, he was loving, sincere, something was under his skin that I couldn't see now. 

We lined up at the door when I felt something sharp hit my cheek. Nobody was near me, and it quickly faded, but then a feeling like being kicked in the stomach arose, making me clench my stomach.

"You alright?" Brendon asked,

"Yeah, I just get flashbacks," I didn't want to tell him about the more abusive side of my boyfriend, it was something I hated to talk about and nothing great to remember. 

"Okay, let me know if I can help, I'm not allowed into your room though because of the general policies but I want to be able to help you," I smiled warmly as a faded pink crossed over my cheeks. 

We had more silent time, alone in our rooms for almost an hour this time around, and I wasn't exactly having it, scrambled on the bathroom floor snot and tears falling around me. I clenched my legs as the thought of sharp kicks to my side replayed in my head.

"Anniese, you alright in here?"

"No," I admitted, sniffling and trying to collect myself a bit. The man came into the bathroom and sat across from me. I couldn't tell him what was going on, I could get my ex in trouble and basically be asking to get killed. I rubbed my arm against my nose and looked up at him, dry tears stinging my face.

"Just breathe," he suggested. I closed my eyes and tried, but all I could see on the inside of my eyelids was my ex, his drunken lust plastering the glistening green eyes of his face, making me open my eyes wide, staring at the ground as my breathing intensified. He reached out and rubbed my shoulder for me to flinch it away and cup my head in my hands. I bounced my knee and looked at the ground through the slits in my fingers. 

Brendon's POV

A tall British man came into my room and sat at my desk so he was facing me. I shifted on the bed and observed his appearance as he talked.

"Hello Brendon, I'm your psychiatrist, Phil, and I'm part of your treatment team for your stay here. Most kids are stuck here for 4-7 days depending on the case, and part of my job is to get you out of here as soon as we can," his accent was strong, and he wore a white long sleeve NASA shirt with black skinny jeans. His hair was propped up with a few loose strands on the top. His figure was rather thin and unathletic, like a teenager almost. 

"Cool, but I'm not sure if I want to return home so badly," I said, looking at his neon green high tops and bouncing my leg. 

"Why's that?" he asked, either oblivious to the reason I was here or being careful not to trigger me. 

"My fucking dad, and his terrible abuse I guess," I bounced both legs and intertwined my fingers together while staring at the floor. 

"Well, we're planning on making arrangments so you won't be returning to him when your stay is finished," he hesitated, a hitch in the boy's voice made me flinch. Where exactly was I going? He adjusted his foot slightly and bobbed his leg in sync with mine.

"Well, we will get over that hurdle when it comes. Until then, I have some basic questions to ask," he propped his leg on top of his knee, pulling a clipboard and paper off my desk.

----------

I left my room to find Anniese wiping her nose with her arm, and dry tears set under her red puffy eyes. I rushed over to her, trying with everything inside me not to wrap her into a hug.

"What happened?" I asked urgently

"I told you, flashbacks," I shook my head. Of course, something from her past triggered her. I don't know how I didn't see it before. I stayed close by her side as we walked to the dinner line, she fidgeted with her hands as she grabbed her food, placing barbeque packets on the tray so the chicken wouldn't taste as dry. I admired her and the little things she doesn't think twice about. 

Anniese's POV

We sat down at the plastic wood patterned table, once more across from each other. Brendon picked at his food, hesitant to take bites and when he did he shook his head like he was disappointed in himself. 

"It's alright to eat, you know,"

"I know, I'm just supposed to be on a diet and it's too restrictive for the hospital to allow changes"

"What kind of diet would that be?" I ask, cocking my head to the side.

"300 calories for the week. I usually eat one apple on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and let myself have three opportunities each month to binge a bit," I stared at him in shock he wasn't dead. 

"That's not healthy. You're going to get an eating disorder,"

"If it means my dad is less a dick about my weight-" he stopped and looked down at his mixed up food. His eggs were soaking in the oatmeal water, and his hot dog was cut up and arranged into a dick form. Hilarious. My burger was down to just a few bites, and when no one was looking I tossed it in his yawning mouth. A staff member shot a glare, so Brendon's attempt to spit it out was rejected as he chewed it and smiled. I chuckled behind my sleeve at him and when the staff looked away he hit my arm and giggled.