Chapter 33

"May love and blessings surround and fulfill her family, and may the Holy Spirit take amazing and thoughtful care. May god be with you."

I sighed out of sadness, trying my hardest not to cry. I was currently at Jennifer, my former student's funeral. I had only met her twice, but I felt like it was definitely encouraged for me to come. I don't know why I felt like I was about to burst out bawling because I barely knew her. I think funerals just have that effect on me.

"Jessica," a women dressed in all black tapped my shoulder. "Thank you so much for coming. It means more than you know."

"Of course," I tried to sound as polite as possible to her mother. "From what I heard she was a great girl."

I could see the streaks of mascara on her cheeks. It hurt my heart, big time. I couldn't ever imagine having to lose my child.

She sniffled. "Why me?" She whispered. "Out of every student in that classroom, why was my daughter the one to get murdered?"

I rubbed her back in a comforting manner, feeling like I was about to throw up. "It's going to be okay."

She nodded, trying to pull herself together. "Thanks again for coming."

I smiled and walked to my car, tears welling up in my eyes. This was all my fault.

I got into my car and slammed my fist on the steering wheel, letting out a frustrated scream. Someone lost their life because of me. All because of me.

I drove probably faster than I should've on my way home. I should've died. Not a fourteen year old girl.

I ran a hand through my hair, taking deep breaths. Why am I not dead?

I pulled into my driveway to see Justin's car there. I didn't even care, nor did I get excited that he came to see me. All I could think of was Jennifer's young, innocent body.

I stormed into my house, weeping in the process. Flinging open the door, Justin was nowhere to be found.

I walked into my kitchen and let the tears pour out of my eyes, grasping the roots of my hair. I felt the anger rise inside of me once more. Someone killed Jennifer because they were trying to get to me. They killed her because of me. I grabbed a nearby glass and chucked it against the wall, watching it shatter to a million pieces. I picked up another one, trying to find a way to let out all my anger. Before I could throw it, I felt two muscular arms grab my hands, restraining me from doing so.

"Don't!" I shrieked, literally feeling like the world's shittiest person.

"What the hell?" He yelled. "What's gotten into you?"

I tried to untangle myself from his grasp but it only got stronger, him swinging me around by the arm to face him. Once he noticed I was still focusing on getting out if his grip, he shook his head. "Stop trying Jess."

I stopped what I was doing and looked into his confused eyes while he looked into my weary ones. He knew what I needed, he always did. It was him.

He pulled my face into his chest and wrapped his arms tightly around me, resting his chin on my head.

I let out shaky breaths and continued to cry into his shirt while he combed his fingers through my hair, murmuring reassuring words in my ear.

"What happened at the funeral that made you this upset?"

"Someone killed her because of me," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "How am I supposed to live with that for the rest of my life?"

His jaw clenched.