Chapter 22

"Your mom and I were close as kids," he said. We were sitting at one of the tables along the side of the coffee shop. I looked out the window as it started to rain, my eyes growing heavier with each passing second. "We lost touch as we got older, but she-"

"I thought I didn't have any relatives."

"Excuse me?"

"My mom said she was the only thing left. Why the hell would I think you're actually her brother?" I leaned back in my seat, the tiredness being overwhelming.

He leaned across the table, hands folded in front of him. "She told you her family was dead?" He whispered.

I nodded, my lips sealed.

He licked his lips, sighing shortly after. "She was always kind of ashamed of her family-"

"Why?"

"I don't know," he sighed. "She cut off connection with me once she graduated, and left to god knows where. About five years after she left, she called me to let me know she was getting married. The number was blocked, there was no way of me reaching her ever again. She said she was getting married in the courthouse, because she didn't want to make a big deal about it at all. She even asked me not to tell our mom-"

"Did you?"

"No," he sighed. "To be fair, I couldn't." My eyebrows raised, cueing him to continue.

"About twenty years ago, our mom died of breast cancer." He looked anywhere but my eyes, the subject a little touchy for him.

"That's terrible."

"I know," he sighed. "Not even a year after I had gotten the call she was getting married, she called me from a blocked number again, this time to tell me she was having a baby."

I became alert suddenly, knowing he was talking about me.

"She said she already knew what the name was going to be; Jessica Johnson. I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it, hoping I would maybe find you one day." He winked, and I realized how big of a deal it was for him to find me today. "She told me again, not to tell our mom. That's when I told her that it was impossible, because she was dead. She hung up, and I haven't heard from her since."

I stared at the table, overwhelmed. "You didn't know where she was and you still didn't file a report that she was missing?"

"She was eighteen," he shrugged. "She could do whatever she wanted."

I ran my fingers through my hair, becoming hot.

"Listen, I know this is a lot to ask." He waited until I looked at him, and when I did, he continued. "I need you to take me to your mom."

I tried my hardest not to completely laugh in his face. "Hey, we can look together if that's what you're offering."

His eyes almost popped out of his head. "Y- You don't know where she is?"

"She left when I was six," I shrugged. "Been in foster care ever since."

His mouth hung open slightly, almost in shock. "I- I'm sorry."

I shook my head quickly, not wanting to think about it. "Sorry I couldn't help you."

He spaced out for awhile, obviously in deep thought. He then suddenly stood, heading for the door.

"Wha- wait!" I grabbed my purse and leaped up to stop him. I grabbed his arm and he turned around with a dazed look in his eyes. "So that's it? You're just going to leave me hanging?"

"I'm sorry Jessica," he said, not looking into my eyes. "I- ... I-"

"Just say it." I whispered.