Chapter 31

"Your mom's name is Jillian." Brad said as we walked around in downtown Holly Ridge, both of us with coffee in our hands. "She was something. She hated the name Jillian. She always said she would legally change it when she got old enough. I wouldn't be surprised if she did," he took a sip of his coffee.

"You think she did?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Probably. God, she hated that name. Our mom loved it though. She was named after our great grandmother, who died two weeks before your mom was born."

"Oh," I looked at my feet as we kept walking, the cold wind slapping at my face.

"When she called me to tell me she was pregnant with you, I thought it would've been the cutest thing. 'Jillian and Jessica'. It was pretty clever."

I smiled. "She seems cool."

"She was," he smiled while he looked forward. "I hope she still is."

There was a long pause of silence where neither of us said anything.

"She lost her dad too," he said suddenly. "Well, except she actually knew him before he died. I'm sorry you didn't get to meet yours Jess."

"You guys lost your dad?"

"Yeah," he sighed. "He committed suicide when your mom was thirteen."

I felt like the wind had just been knocked out of me. Maybe my moms life wasn't as easy as I thought.

"No one knows why," he said. "It's probably why she ran away honestly. They were so close."

"Really?"

"I know parents aren't supposed to pick favorites, but Jill was definitely our dads favorite no doubt." He chuckled.

I didn't know what to say, or if I should say anything. I was in complete shock.

"She um, she really wanted to keep you Jess. I just wanted you to know that." He adjusted his jacket slightly.

I got goosebumps from his choice of words. "I didn't think she liked me."

"Oh, she did," he took another sip of his coffee. "It must have been so hard for her. I can't even begin to imagine what she went through."

"You think it was that bad?"

"Think? I know. I still have to figure out who this person is though, the one she ran away from. Jill was so strong and brave. It's hard for me to believe she was scared of anyone."

I stared at the ground, not wanting to look into his eyes. "I, um, I have to ask you something."

"Yeah?" He turned his head in my direction.

"I was wondering, if you do by chance find her, can I meet her?"

He smirked. "Changed your mind?"

I exhaled. "Yeah."

He smiled widely. "Well in that case, of course you can."

__________________________

"Jess?"

"Yeah?" I said to Jamie on the phone, just getting home.

"I'm sorry to ask this, but I had to leave the shop early because I have a dentist appointment. Brooklyn is there alone, she said she could handle it but I feel bad leaving her there. You know?"

"I'll head over," I said. "Don't worry about it."

"Okay, thank you. I just figured she might want some company."

"That's a good idea," I sighed. "I'll head over."

"Thanks Jess!" She said, then hung up.

I walked down the beach to the only place left that makes this town worth living in. Everything was so different before Justin came. Nothing was the same anymore.

The shop however, was a place I'd never get tired of.

I walked in the back door, sliding my purse off of my shoulder and placing it in the back room on the right.

"Hey!" Someone called from out front.

I quickly walked out to see a long line of people waiting to be rung up, the end of the line almost reaching the door.

"Oh my god," I whispered. "I'm so sorry-"

"We've been waiting for over fifteen minutes!" The first lady in line snapped.

"I'm really sorry ma'am, I don't know where the other worker is," I started to ring her things up as fast as I possibly could. "It won't happen again."

"Better not," she scowled and grabbed the bag of clothes, storming out.

Where the hell is Brooklyn?

I helped everyone else that was waiting, apologizing continuously for the bad service. After I had gotten through the ginormous line, there was no one left in the store except for a couple that had walked in seconds before, looking at tops.

I took this as an opportunity to walk back to my purse and call Brooklyn. She was about to get an earful.

It rang twice before I heard a faint ringing from a distance, but it was someone's phone ringing. I slowly walked out of the room I was in, and followed the ringing. It led me to the room across the hall, the room completely dark. I hesitantly turned on the light, letting out a blood curdling scream when I saw what was in front of me.

Brooklyn's body.

"Brooklyn!" I screamed as I cried continuously, running over to where she laid.

I rolled her over, her skin still warm. There was a large knife stuck in her upper thigh.

"H- He tried stab my stomach," she said, making me jump out of my skin,

"You're alive," I breathed out. "Oh my god, you're alive."

I ran out and grabbed my phone from the other room, dialing 911 as fast as my fingers would let me.

"Help," I choked out. "Please."

__________________________

NOTE:

ight, things are about to go pretty downhill from here. i'm sorry if you were expecting a happy book with a happy ending, because that's not the case. i have so much planned.

(ps, school starts tomorrow and i'm loosing my fricken mind but anywho, i know i usually try to update at midnight but i won't be staying up that late during school because hey i need sleep to succeed. lol. i'll still be saying the next update at the end of every chapter, it just won't come out at midnight on that day. hopefully you guys understand)

SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER

twitter: @avonsshawtyy

next update: sunday, the 31st.