Chapter 3

I woke up at 3 in the morning to find Justin gone. I sat straight up, looking around frantically. Where was he?

I checked the bathroom and everywhere else in my house. He was gone. I looked outside and saw the storm hadn't lightened up one bit. I pictured him alone in the streets, bloody and soaked from the rain. Suddenly, a thought dawned on me.

I have his number from the day I hit my head.

I whipped out my phone, dialing his number quickly.

No answer.

I called him three more times until he finally picked up.

"Who the hell are you?"

"Um, I'm sorry. It's Jess."

"Oh Jess," he said. "Sorry. What are you doing up?"

"Where are you?" I said frantically.

"I left," he said.

"Obviously," I said, "But where are you?"

"I'm home." He said quietly.

"There's no way you could've made it home by yourself in this weather."

"I didn't say I was alone."

"What? You got a ride?"

"Um, yeah. Morgan gave me a ride."

Jealousy instantly ran through me. Who does he think he is?

"Jess, you don't understand. I felt really bad for falling asleep there last night and just wanted to get home after everything you'd done for me. I'm sorry," he said.

"I'm glad you're home," I said after awhile.

"Get some sleep, Jess. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah. Goodnight." I hung up.

I walked upstairs and into my bed. How could I sleep after all of this? I looked at the clock. It was 3:46. I sighed. I had to work at 11 tomorrow. Why is my life suddenly taking a huge turn? I tried not to think about it. I didn't want to think about it.

___________________________

I woke up at 10:32. Sitting straight up, I sprinted to the bathroom, realizing I had slept in. I washed my face and ran towards my closet. I decided on a light blue, short sleeved crop top. I put on some ripped high waisted shorts that exposed about an inch of my upper stomach since the crop top wasn't very long.

I went back into the bathroom and took out my hair. I looked at my long brown hair that had a natural beach wave to it, which I loved. I left it how it was and focused on my make up. I put on a little wing of eyeliner and some mascara. Taking a step back, I loved the way my shirt brought out my bright blue eyes. I brushed my teeth then made my lips a peachy pink color. I tried to think of something else to add. I tried on a light brown bowler hat. I never really thought it would work with this outfit but it did perfectly. I slipped on my white flats, grabbed my purse and headed out the door.

It was beautiful out. I started walking on the beach when I saw two guys working on the street trying to pick up a palm tree that had fallen. Another guy just swept the street trying to get rid of some of the garbage that blew in the storm last night.

I went in the back door of the shop and grabbed my name tag. All of the name tags for all six of the girls who worked here were so cute. It was a bunch of seashells with their names printed on them with their choice of nail polish. It was one of my moms many ideas for the store that she came up with when she was 16.