Chapter 11

"Hello?" I answered my phone, walking into the kitchen. Justin needed to get his tired changed on his car, so I was home alone.

"Jessica," the woman sighed.

I knew exactly who is was.

"Mrs. Banks," I rolled my eyes. "What can I do for you?"

"Just calling to check up," she said as if she actually cared.

"Check up on what? Me?" I grabbed an apple from the counter.

"Yes, how have you been?" She said.

"Great," I said nervously. "How about you?"

"I was doing good, these past few days have been a little rough though."

"Oh, why's that?"

"Well, I stopped by your house two days ago-" my heart dropped. "and you weren't there, so I thought maybe you were running errands or something. But then I stopped the next day, and I stopped this morning. Is that coincidental, or is there something you're not telling me Jessica?"

"It's coincidental," I said a little too quickly.

"Where are you right now?"

"Home," I said quickly, again.

She paused and I could almost feel her smile. "You wanna know how I know you're lying?"

I gulped and didn't say anything.

"Because I'm sitting in your driveway," she finished. "Now Jessica, why on earth would you lie to me?"

"What do you want?" I spat.

"I know more than you think Jessica." She said. "Way more."

"How so?"

"Well for starters, I know you killed my son."

I felt hot tears run down my cheeks as I stopped breathing completely. Now that she knows, my life's over. I'll go to jail, and probably never come back. Murder is a big deal.

"Well wherever you are, the police are on the lookout. Goodbye Jessica." She hung up.

I sat there with the phone still pressed to my ear, the dial tone ringing loudly as I tried to control my breathing. Prison? This can't be happening. It's not like I have a mom to run to, or anyone for that matter. The only person I had was Justin, and he could only do so much.

I dialed a number on my phone, a number that called me frequently and was annoying, but was a person I somewhat trusted. Sharon.

"This is Sharon," she answered.

"Sharon," I breathed out. "I really need to talk-"

"Of course honey! Is everything okay? Do you want me to come over?"

"Yes, but not at my house. You know that log cabin right behind the makeup boutique?"

"I know exactly where you're talking about," she said. "I'll be right over."
___________________________

About twenty minutes later, there was a knock at the door. I took a breath and walked towards it. Now as I rethink it, I become paranoid. What if trusting her is a mistake? What if after I tell her, she goes straight to the police? After all, she is a detective. They practically live for the police. Then again, she's really all I have. I needed to open up.

"Hi," I said once I opened the door.

"Hi," she smiled wholeheartedly.

I guided her inside and we sat opposite from each other. "What brings you here?" She questioned.