Chapter 28

"I know we're not on the best terms but I need to ask you a favor," I said to Sharon on the phone. I currently was getting Riley situated in my bed, tucking a blanket around her limp body. She couldn't really talk that well, because her wound was still fairly fresh. She tried to choke out a simple "thank you" but I held my hand up. "Don't hurt yourself, okay?" I said, taking the phone away from my face momentarily.

"You only talk to me when you need something," Sharon sighed.

"I know I know," I said while waving goodbye to Riley, letting her know I was exiting. "I can explain when you get here. I have to do community service today and I need you to babysit."

"Babysit?" She scoffed. "What, you had a baby?"

"An injured girl," I sighed. "Look, it'll be two hours max. I just want to make sure nothing happens to her when I'm gone."

She sighed heavily. "I'm not doing it."

"Sharon," I whined. "Please."

"You don't get it Jessica," she laughed sarcastically. "All I do is help you and you don't even care. You tell me how you don't trust me, how you never want to see me again, then when you need a favor you call me right away. I'm sick of you not appreciating what you have."

"Let's fix this then," I sighed. "Please?"

She was silent for a few moments, then decided to answer. "Alright. I'll be over in ten."

I smiled and thanked her, hanging up. I needed to be at the community college in an hour, which I was sort of dreading. My phone rang once more while I groaned, not really wanting to talk to whoever it was. Looking down, it was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Where's Justin," the man hissed, his voice deep.

"I um, I don't know. Who is this?"

"I swear to god Jessica, I'll kill you. Where, is, Justin?"

I was speechless. I hung up, my heart beat accelerating.

Was he being serious when he said he'd kill me?

I jumped at the sound of a knock on the door, answering it quickly. Sharon appeared, an unpleasant look on her face. "Who is it I need to babysit and why cou-" she stopped and took a step forward, examining me. "What happened to your face?"

Widening my eyes a little, I tried to ignore her stare. "Nothing," I whispered. "Listen, long story short there's a girl who just got stabbed last night and she's staying here. She's upstairs and I need to make sure nothing happens to her, okay?"

"Woah," she held her hands up. "She got stabbed?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "It's a long story but if-"

"Did you even think to take her to a hospital?"

"We were going to but we didn't think she'd make it."

"We? Who's we?" She crossed her arms.

"Listen," I tried not to overreact. "I needed help and Justin was still in town. It's his ex girlfriend and-"

"You're letting Justin's ex girlfriend stay in your house?"

I nodded with my lips sealed.

She crossed her arms once more. "Listen, this girl needs to get to a hospital. I'll take her, okay? Just go to community service."

I hugged her. "Thank you so much."

"Yeah," she sighed. "Honestly Jess, put some ice on your face. It's so swollen."