Chapter 13

I woke up with my heart beating through my ears. I sat up, feeling around trying to figure out where I was. The sound of thunder rang through my ears as it shook the house, or wherever I was for that matter. My head pounded repeatedly as I groaned. What the hell?

Lightning flashed and illuminated the room for a second, giving me an idea of where I was.

I held my breath as my heart stopped beating immediately. Not wanting it to be true, I felt around when lightning flashed again. It lit up the room and all my worst nightmares were answered.

I was in Jake Banks room.

I felt the need to scream. I felt around in the darkness, trying to escape this hell hole I somehow appeared in. I finally found a light switch, and flipped it on. I felt the need to scream again once I saw my surroundings.

It was a disaster.

Every picture, every trophy, every single object in the room: trashed. Why was I here? What happened?

I felt around every pocket on my clothes trying to find my phone. Nothing.

I turned into panic mode. I didn't know what time it was, I didn't know how to get out. I needed to get out of here.

I turned off the light and slowly made my way out of the room. I shut the door ever so quietly, trying to be as invisible as possible. His mom was probably home. If she saw me, then she'd blame me for what happened in Jake's room and-

Wait.

Did I do that?

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around to open his door again. I looked around once more as tears welled up in my eyes. Every picture of us was shattered, every object broken in half.

I did this. I vandalized his bedroom.

I turned off the light once more and started out his door, trying to be as quiet as possible. I tiptoed past his moms bedroom door and held my breath. I can't get caught. This can't happen. I finally made it to the front door of his house when I stopped. What if someone saw me leave? Then it would be obvious it was me. I spun on my heels and headed for the back door. I knew this house as well as my own, I'd find my way out somehow. As I passed through the kitchen, lightning flashed once again making me jump out of my skin. The whole situation was weird and creepy. I opened the back door quietly and stepped out without making a sound. I should get an award for this.

I decided I was going to walk through the pouring rain instead of run. It's not like this night would get any better.

I flipped my hood over my head and crossed my arms over my chest, trying to keep warm. How the hell did I get there and not remember a thing? The last thing I remember was having dinner with Justin. I mean, we danced, we kissed.

My eyes widened partially. Was it the wine? Was I drunk? It's all such a blur, my brain ached just from thinking about it.

There's no way I could've been drunk, I mean even if I was I would've remembered something at least a little bit. But I seriously could not remember a thing.

The rain patterned against my back and I held my hoodie closer to my body.

Way to go Jess. You murdered someone, and you burglarized a place. Maybe I should turn myself in for Pete's sake.

Something went down last night. I could feel it. I just couldn't remember. I needed to know how I ended up there. If I had any sense of mind I would obviously have stopped myself from entering that house. What the hell was wrong with my brain?