Chapter 9

"Jess, wake up," I sat up in my bed to find Justin packing up his stuff.

"What's going on?" I rubbed my eyes.

"The police found us," he went in the bathroom to get more of his things.

"What?" I shot out of bed and started packing myself.

"I don't know if I can do this anymo-" he was interrupted by a banging at the door.

Justin slowly walked to the door, opening it.

The police pushed past him and into our room, one grabbing my upper arm.

"Ms. Johnson, you are under arrest for the murder of Jake Banks."

I shot straight up in my bed, panting.

"You okay?" Justin said across the room.

I nodded. "Bad dream."

He walked over to my bed, handing me a cup of coffee. I smiled at his sweetness.

"Thank you." I held it close to my mouth.

"So what was your dream about?" He sat next to me in the bed.

I glanced at him momentarily, debating if I should make something up.

"What if the police find us," I whispered.

"Is that what this is about?" He turned his head to look at me.

I nodded a little. "It's possible. I mean what if-"

"Don't talk like that," he said quietly. "We came here to get away from drama. Forget about your stupid dream." He playfully nudged me.

I smiled. "You're right."

"So I was thinking," he started. "Why don't we just hang out today. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive, just you and me."

I smiled for what felt like the millionth time this morning. "Sounds perfect."

___________________________

I lay on the beach with Justin by my side, the sun hitting my back.

We both sat with our elbows propped up, laughing at our own stupid humor.

"And then I fell off the boat," he continued his story while I laughed, trying to catch my breath. "My dad was so scared, so he jumped in to get me while my mom was screaming."

We both laughed. "Oh my god," I said.

"Well, that's the story of the first time I went fishing."

I still laughed. We both stared at the ocean for awhile, not saying anything. My hands would grab a handful of sand, then release it slowly back to where it was. I was at peace.

"This is perfect," Justin said.

"I know," I replied.

"No, I don't mean just here. I mean back in Hampstead too. Everything is starting to fall into place."

Our sides were touching, we were so close. I turned my head a bit, our faces inches apart.

"That makes me happy," I smiled.

"Me too," he smiled even though he was still staring ahead.

"I'm happy you moved here," I said quietly, sort of regretting it.

He smiled again. "I am too. You really have no idea."

"Why's that?" I said, still letting the sand fall through my fingertips.