8 years old

Ryder POV:

"Ryder here"

"Hi this is the police station could you please make your way down to the intersection by the bridge"

"Yes ma'am, be right there"

For an 8 year old I considered myself a very handy craftsman, with a little help from my dad I made my own ATV. I jumped on it and rode down to the bridge but was shocked at what I saw.

"This can't be happening" I said to myself.

I jumped of my ATV and ran as fast as I could to my parents car that was flipped upside down in the grass.

"LET ME THOUGH!" I shout at some police officers. "THATS MY PARENTS"

"I'm sorry kid, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but, your parents didn't make it" A police man said to me. "But it's ok kid, your dog is still alive and well. Just head down to the vet's office he's being checked out"

"What?" I looked up at the police officer with tears in my eyes "I don't ~sniff~ own a dog"

"But we found a puppy in the back seat? Is your birthday soon?" he asked me.

"Yeah, ~sniff~ it's tomorrow"

"Happy birthday kid, your parents got you dog! Go check him out he's really cute"

"Thank you sir, I'm going to go see him now!" I say with the best smile I can give, even though it's really weak.

I walk back to my ATV and start driving to the vet. I want this to be a dream. It feels like a nightmare, like any minute I'll wake up and go eat my moms homemade pancakes. I get to the vet only to see the most beautiful and most popular girl in school. Katie. As the lamest boy on plant earth, or at least that's what the boy she likes calls me, Chris, I doubt Katie even knows my name. I've had a crush on her since kindergarten, but what boy hasn't? She's beautiful, smart, positive, and best of all she loves animals just like me.

I climb of my ATV and walk inside.

"Hi Katie" I say

"Ryder, what happened?" She does know my name. She's holding a tiny gray kitten, it looks about 3 weeks old.

"I don't really want to talk about it. Who's this?" I say petting the young parisian.

"Oh, this is Cali, I'm thinking of adopting her."

"She's really cute" I say

"You really think so?" She says.

"Yeah!" I say with as much enthusiasm as I have left.

"Why are you here anyway? I come here all the time and I've never seen you here"

"Oh, right! I completely forgot!"

"What?" She says. She looks cute when she's confused.

"I got a new puppy, I'm here to pick him up"

"Oh, I know who your talking about, the German Shepherd who was in the car accident. He's in the back. Follow me."

I follow her though some double doors into a white room with tile floors. There's microscopes and people in long white lab coats scattered around the room. She stops at one of the tables where a woman who looks to be about 35 is writing something on a piece of paper.

"Hey Jessie can you watch Cali for a sec, I got to go into the dog room."

"Sure thing, Katie." Katie sets Cali down on the table and starts walking again.

"Come on, he's right in here" She opens a door that has 'DOGS' written in colorful letters.

"Aww look he's playing with that cockapoo we just found on the roof" She stops and looks at them with a smile on her face.

"Wait you found her on the roof?" I asked.

"Yeah, weird, I know, no one has any idea how she got up there" She says. She must have seen me staring at the two dogs playing because she pushed me playfully "What are you waiting for? Go say hi!"

I walk over to the pups in the middle of the room dodging tails and heads of the other dogs playing.

When I finally make my way over I crouch in front of him.

"Hey big guy" I say petting his head.

"Hey, who are you sir?" The little pup asked me.

"I'm your new owner, Ryder"

"Owner? I don't need an owner sir! I'm a street pup."

"It's okay, I'll take good care of you! I'll feed you morning and night and give you lots of treats"

"Umm, okay maybe sir"

"Come on, it will be fun, I promise" I reassure the little pup.

"Okay, Ryder sir, I'm coming, let me just say bye first okay?" He turns to the cockapoo.

"Bye, see you later" He gives her a lick on the cheek then turns to me and jumps in my arms. I turn over his dog tag on the front it's blue with a gold star, on the back it says 'Chase please return to Ryder at' then my pup pad number. My dad must have made it up, seems like something he would call his dog if he had one.

"Chase" I said out loud.

"Chase what? A ball? I love chasing balls!"

"No silly pup, that's your name."

"My name? "

"Yeah"

"I've never had a name before! I like the name Chase."

"Good because it's your name, forever." I say to him. I start walking back to Katie, once again dodging tails and heads.

"He's so cute!" Katie says.

"I can't believe I finally have a dog of my own!" Katie grabs a crate and carefully puts him in.

"Don't forget to feed him, brush him, and bathe him, if you need help bathing him, just come over to my place I give spa treatments to dogs."

"Thanks Katie, will do."

"Bye Ryder, see you in school."

"Bye" I say

"She seems nice." Chase says.

"Yeah, she really is." I say back.