CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Alexander

Upon entering our home, all three of us were met with Danielle, drinking coffee in our living room. Victor carried our sleeping mate upstairs while I sat with Danielle.

"So, did you hear them?" I blinked feeling a headache coming on. She was brighter somehow, like glowing. She offered me a smile and a curious gaze.

"Hear what?" She just smiled and sipped her tea making my brows furrow, they were going to end up sticking that way.

"I guess another time then." She smiled knowingly, her eyes were brighter, much more like her fathers than before. "You'll know someday, and when you do, I can't wait to embrace you."

"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that, not because I'm not curious but, its been a long day." She giggled.

"I'm aware."

"Danielle...your father..."

"Was a big help I hope." She never wavered and I wondered if she was being brave or what.

"He was, he told me...to tell you that he's proud." She smiled wider.

"Thanks to you...I feel closer to him than I ever have in my 20 years...." She took a deep breath. "I hope you understand now, why he took in all those Caster's knowing what would happen."

"Huh?" She grinned.

"When it comes to your mate, you really don't play..." She touched her neck and sighed. "My father hated his father because he knew what it meant to take full form of his dragon and back. He understood that it would rob him of friends. He wanted to protect you, those he loved dearly, and to do that, he sacrificed all those Caster's for your sakes."

"Why do I feel like that's been said to me before...or someone." She grinned.

"It has, I say it again so that maybe this time you stop being a prick." My eyes widened and she giggled and stood.

"I look forward to seeing you again." I laughed and shook her hand.

"This is very different from the you who came to me weeks ago." She nodded looking away.

"It's weird but, I feel...free...like a burden is lifted off my shoulders allowing me to breath again." She smiled. "I owe it to you...thank you."

"It was a pleasure."

"Oh, did they find her?"

"Who?" She frowned.

"Theodore and Winston's daughter? The one My granddad used to make Theo sick?" She said. "She was in the building." She shrugged. "I'm sure Winston sniffed her out." She tapped her nose. "I'm off!" She waved and walked towards the door, how ever she never got to open it, instead as she walked she faded into silver mist and soft melodic laughter.

I grabbed my phone and shook my head.

"Oracles are so extra." I blinked and furrowed my brows. "I'm listening to Victor too much."

I texted Winston to ask about his daughter and he texted one word, 'safe' I smiled and tried not to laugh cause it didn't tell me much and yet I understood. I wondered if the man would ever actually learn to like me.